Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ebony magazine..."Who are you calling a .....?"

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:01 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 203 Total Views
Ladies, I picked up the Ebony yesterday and was surprised and not surprised.  But, I am glad Ebony tackled the controversial topic of disrespect of black people to one another and of young blacks in general.  I am interested in your views.  I dont allow those words said in my home, especially by the children.  But, others are different.  At the same time, I know white and black are calling me all sorts of names behind my back (no one has dared to do it to my face).  My choice is to ignore them.  It is a reflection of themselves.  They can say those things about me but I live and speak such that you can only accuse me-never catch me acting in that manner.  Don Immus didnt bother me.  Whites have been calling us that since they brought us over from the boat.  No sense in acting offended when its said to my face-just shows what you thought of me all along.  When blacks do it, I see it as a sign of uneducated stupidity.  Words have meaning and they cut to the depth of the soul-if you let it.  Acting as if we can change the meaning of words when we cant spell the word dictionary is just plain "mindlessness" not thoughlessness.  And it is now hip to act like we have no mind, no morals and no sense unless white people are watching. 

In summary, I have heard this problem blamed on poverty, lack of education of government (public) schools, self hate, racism, the entertainment industry and society.  I find it amazing that we can blame ourselves for this. No one said, "I would be ashamed of my child if he/she did this." No one reminds them of their heritage and just plain old family history. 

If you have not gotton the magazine, please pick it up.  Very insightful. 
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
DivaMama1207
by on Jun. 22, 2007 at 10:45 PM

I'll definitely have to pick up a copy and check it out.  Thanks for the info.

~Hugs & Blessings~
Michelle

Supporting Ourselves!
MY SISTERS KEEPER

charbella
by on Jul. 2, 2007 at 12:49 AM
I'm going to pick up a copy this week.  Thanks for the heads up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)