Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introduce Yourselves!

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:36 AM
  • 112 Replies
  • 4792 Total Views
If you've joined this board, let us know who you are and what your background is.
by on May. 7, 2007 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
recoveringwino
by Group Owner on May. 7, 2007 at 4:40 PM

I will start as I started this group...seems appropriate, huh? 

To read, my whole story, it is best to go here.  I tell of my whole experience with alcohol and how I decided to seek treatment/recovery.  Make sure you click on Part One and start there.

It's a wild ride, but it is so worth it.  I would have never believed it last year at this time.  But I was ready.

laura832
by New Member on May. 7, 2007 at 4:46 PM
well, i have been suffering from migrane headaches for years, and have increasingly turned to prescription pain meds to help alleviate the pain... nine years ago, i was briefly jailed for trying to fraudently obtain a script... i went to outpatient treatment.... for awhile i just used tylenol and advil and just bared the pain... however, i got to the point where i was taking some of my husbands scripts for his degenerative disc disease.... finally back the end of march, i had gotten ( legally) a refill of my ultram , and had taken all of it in a three day span... one friday, i got into two accidents, and my husband called rescue, and they took me to the hospital for medical clearance, and then i went to a inpatient hospital for two days to kind of get the rest out of my system... right now i am dealing with the pain through therapy with a therapist and a psychiatrist, and my husband, who is a registered nurse, gives me my medication when it is needed... he keeps all of them in a locked box...
recoveringwino
by Group Owner on May. 7, 2007 at 4:50 PM
I always thought trying to manage pain and addiction would be difficult.  I'm sorry things must be so frustrating for you right now.

Have you ever gone or do you go to NA meetings?
laura832
by New Member on May. 7, 2007 at 4:52 PM
 i have gone to both aa and na meetings in the past, and right now, i manage pretty well with friends support, taking the meds when needed, rather than when i want to, and with the help of the therapist.... it also helps to have support from people like you who have been through the same thing or something similar....
mamakitty
by Member on May. 8, 2007 at 7:11 PM
Okay, here goes! I am 27, I have a 3-year-old son  & a fiancee who is wonderful. I have been sober for 111 days today. I went to a 30-day treatment center in January & it was a life-changing experience for me. It was hard but it was truly what I needed. I have had a problam with alcohol for about 7 years. I couldn't stop drinking even when I was pregnant. I cut back , but I couldn't stop totally. By the grace of God, my son is perfect & has no problems because of my addiction. After he was born, I drank even more because I was at home all day with him & didn't have anything else to do. I got to where I needed it just to feel "normal", to stop shaking & feeling sick. My life is not like that today! I am happy & healthy & I have gained back the respect of my family. My fiancee & I are planning on getting married this summer & having another baby!
debbitt1955
by on May. 8, 2007 at 10:37 PM
hi everyone have truley enjoyed reading everything so far and to be honest i am not a alcoholic i am a mother of a daughter who is a recovering crack addict she has been in a program for almost a year and has now come out she has found her faith in god and that is what is keeping her safe so far however now she feels she has to save the father of her son who is the one who got her started to begin with..needless to say we are trying to figure out how to handle this situation without being so negative that we alienate her.so i have been looking here to see if there are any pointers..i have been told not to be negative about things that this causes an addict to become weak and it is so hard sometimes not to..we have been raising her son for the last 2 and 1/2 years so it is hard for us to try and be positive about this so coming from an addicts point of view anybody have any suggestions..god bless all of you for staying strong i know it is not an easy thing because we have watched our daughter deal with this addiction for 6 years
peaceandlovega
by New Member on May. 8, 2007 at 11:13 PM
Hello to everyone! Well, it's going to be hard for me to condense my story to fit here but I'll do my best. First off, my name is Allyn. I'm 29 from GA and a stay at home mom to three children. I can remember when I was 16 telling my friends that if I was 21, I would be an alcoholic. I don't know why I said this at the time, but it turned out to be prophetic. I was drinking and smoking pot daily by the time I was 18.I got pregnant with my first child when I was 19, and married her father although I didn't want to. Fortunately, I couldn't stand alcohol while pregnant so I abstained through all three of my pregnancies. I made the decision to stay home with my daughter after she was born, and this marked the beginning of actually becoming addicted to alcohol. I was always home usually with no car, and drinking seemed to help me cope with boredom and unhappiness with my marriage. I had another child (a son) before my ex and I separated after 5 years of marriage. My parents were fed up with me, so they asked my ex and my kids to move in with them, and told me to fend for myself. My ex ended up getting custody of our children, and I used this as an excuse to drink even more. I remarried and had my third child and for a little while, things were ok. I fought for custody of my other two children and ended up with joint custody. Yet very soon after this, I got not one but two DUIs. I again lost custody of my children and my husband almost left me. But after 10 years of alcohol abuse, this was the point where I finally woke up. I checked myself in to a six month treatment program and I now attend AA meetings regularly and have been sober for almost two years. My ex and I get along well now, and I see my two oldest kids all the time. I am still amazed at how much my life has changed! It can be very hard at times, but it is sooooo worth it! I am very glad to have found this group and I look forward to helping and being helped by you all. Peace, Allyn
recoveringwino
by Group Owner on May. 10, 2007 at 9:17 PM
Thanks for sharing everyone!  Keep the stories coming!
highonserenity
by on May. 11, 2007 at 12:51 AM
Hello,
enjoyed reading the shares.
My name is Ann and I am a very grateful alcoholic.
I say grateful because today I have not had, nor thought of having, a drink. I have also not had a hangover, blackout, next day remorse, room spins, porcelain goddess worshipping, or any of the other insane behavior and last drunk issues since 8/22/82. For that I am eternally grateful.
My son is grown with children of his own-he was 4 when I came to the program. He does not have a problem with alcohol.
My daughter is also grown with children-she was 8 when I got here and she is an alcoholic and addict.
I only say that because it is sometimes assumed that children growing up in recovery have a better chance. An alcoholic once exposed advances to alcoholism-but the chances of recovery may go up with the early exposure to recovery.
Sobriety has lasted MORE than half my life. I drank alcoholicly from the age of 7-24.
Sobriety has had its trials and errors. I have had some extreme lows and extreme highs. What is most impressive now is that neither occurs-I have leveled my emotional responses to that of normal men and women.
So that's a little about me at this time.
Now I'm an RN that has had to stop that work because of my degenerated spine (at 6 levels-NOT due to nursing though definitely not helped by it). I work at home with a health and wellness company which is right up my alley given my nursing background. I also have my own part-time business teaching classes for Recovery Counseling Certification and for continuing education hours for Recovery Counselors.
I love my life and am so glad I lived long enough to have it!!
naaladybug
by on May. 15, 2007 at 6:43 PM
I started drinking before I started school.  There was a beer distributorship across the alley from our house, and since my maternal grandmother had allowed them to pave a small part of her yard so they could turn their big rigs, they left a case of beer every time.  As a consequence, there was always beer in the house.  Especially there was beer at night watching tv.  I got fairly good at slurping some from unattended cans.  I liked the taste and the effervescence.  I got caught, of course, but rather than making me quit, I was given (one time only) my own beer.  I proceeded to drink most of it before I got so drunk I had to be put to bed.  After that, they watched their beer.

Later in my childhood, about age ten, Grandmother noticed that the half beer she's been saving for evening kept disappearing from the frig.  She figured out that it was me drinking it, and told Mom to tell me to stop.  That was supposed to be the end of it.  All it did was make me more desperate. 

By the time I was fourteen, two things had happened.  I had started taking hard liquor from the liquor cabinet; and I had started holding onto the notes they sent me to the store with for beer.  I could go back in a day, and get a six-pack for me.

This kept up through high school.  After high school I ran around with a girl who was a band leader's girlfriend.  There was always liquor, pot, and drugs free for the taking.  Since we were girls, and easy with our favors, they let us drink and drug to our hearts' content.

This lasted until I was twenty-four.  I met the man who was to be my second husband, and father of my daughter.  For the first time I consciously tried to stop drinking and drugging.  For the baby's sake.  I must have done well enough, she was healthy and not addicted at birth.

Her father and I divorced by mutual consent a month short of our third wedding anniversary.  He gave me custody of her.  I was amazed.  He was the child of an alcoholic mother, and I couldn't believe he didn't know I had a problem with alcohol and drugs.

By now I was taking only prescription medication.  This had started in my early twenties, when the band broke up.  Somehow I raised my daughter and tried to be a good mother to her.  All the while popping pills, smoking pot, and drinking.

When my daughter was sixteen, she sat me down and told me that I had to shape up or she would leave me.  This was a terrible shock.  I was the parent, wasn't I?  Apparently not.  It seems she had talked with her friend who had a more normal family and had gotten that advice from her.  Between that, and a diagnosis of hurried child syndrome that my daughter was given at age twelve, I was afraid all over again that I would lose her.  Little did I know, I had lost her.  It was only her physical presence that I still sometimes had.

When my daughter was seventeen, she left for college.  I only saw her on school breaks, and then only when she came back to my place to sleep, eat, or change clothes.  She hung out with her friends.  I drank.  There was more reason to than ever, because I no longer had the child I'd tried to give everything to. 

Her junior year in college she spent abroad in France because she was a French and International Business major.  I also happened to be back in college.  With money from an auto accident (Someone had run into me), I financed a trip to France to see her.  It was wonderful, except that I did a few little things to embarrass her.  Like getting drunk the day we went to the Mediterranian Sea. 

My day for going back to America was January 2nd.  So all of us, which included the two girls my daughter was rooming with and their parents, went to a restaurant in the Greek quarter of Paris to celebrate the New Year.  It just happened that there was only room for them on one side of the table, I sat alone on the other side.  And of course, I sat in the middle.  Wine was served with dinner, and I made sure my glass was always full.  At one point, shortly before the actual calling of the New Year, we ran out of wine.  I was, "Oh darn it!"  I looked up and saw clearly for the very first time, the looks of disbelief, dismay, and consternation on everyone's faces.  My daughter's face was a mask of disgust.  Then the New Year arrived.  We had to run from the restaurant to catch the last subway back to where we were staying.

My daughter did not even look back to see if I was managing to follow her.  I barely did, falling over a traffic barrier at one point.  Somehow I did manage to get on the subway with the rest of them.  My daughter did not speak to me.  Once at the place we were staying at, she told me to just go to bed when I tried to apologize.

In the morning she got me together and took me to the airport.  She literallly shoved me into the airplane boarding ramp and said "Don't miss your plane."  She left.

It was on that plane back to America that I became a recovering alcoholic.  I never took another drink.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)