Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Challenge: No Unnecessary Spending For 28 Days!!!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:38 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 546 Total Views

My husband and I are going on vacation starting June 18th.... counting today there are 4 weeks before that day.

We have been talking for a while about trying to do a spending detox. 21 days of not spending anything that's not absolutely necessary (gas, necessary food, medical). That includes not buying food except necessary items (not just because we want or crave something). We decided lets do it before going on vacation. 

I didn't realise til afterwards that Tristian's 4th birthday falls within this time... but that's ok, we can make homemade cake, we already have his present and we can still have a nice birthday without spending money =) We are celebrating all the cousin's bdays on dh's side in july anyways (all four are turning 5 or younger and have a birthday from June 8th- July 16th). So his actual birthday is just an our family thing anyways =)

We did fine today... but today is just day one. We are hoping by doing this we can break the consumerist habit we have (even as much as we try not to) and remind ourselves there's so much you can do without money. Not to mention this will help us save a little more before vacation lol. We are also hoping that by getting out of the spending habit we are less likely to unnecessarily blow money on vacation.  

Anyways... wish us luck =) I'm interested to see if this is easier or harder then dieting lol 

credit card VS eating lol =)

by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KayMMIV
by Group Owner on May. 22, 2011 at 2:29 PM

ignore the bad handwriting up top (i didn't put the title of the board on til after I had all the days done, it was pretty hard to get the title up there without wiping off the dates lol) I commandeered our month board for this and just started it on yesterday =) I'll post the board as I go along to show how we are doing =)

supergirl_mommy
by on May. 23, 2011 at 2:30 PM

I like the idea...me being a single parent with a 3 year old and a soon to be 1 year old I might try your idea out...I think we are just going to do small vacations for the next couple years til after my boyfriends 2 year deployment is up since we are talking about saving up after he leaves for the 2 yrs so that when he gets home we can take the kids to Disney World (he has 2 boys and then I have my two)...but i would have to say my blessing is that the nearest walmart is an hour away lol

KayMMIV
by Group Owner on May. 23, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Quoting supergirl_mommy:

I like the idea...me being a single parent with a 3 year old and a soon to be 1 year old I might try your idea out...I think we are just going to do small vacations for the next couple years til after my boyfriends 2 year deployment is up since we are talking about saving up after he leaves for the 2 yrs so that when he gets home we can take the kids to Disney World (he has 2 boys and then I have my two)...but i would have to say my blessing is that the nearest walmart is an hour away lol

my kiddos are almost 4 and almost 1 =) close to yours. we have way too much shopping right near us, so I think you are right that's a blessing not to =) good luck saving!!!

KayMMIV
by Group Owner on May. 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM

we are on day 7 of our no unnecessary spending challenge =) We are doing great! It really hasn't been that hard.

The first few days I found myself still looking at the deal sites and going.... 'can that be considered necessary?' lol, but we've stuck to our challenge and are excited to keep it up for 3 more weeks. I think this is going to kick off our vacation with a great sense of acomplishment! On top of that I am in the middle of a five day work stretch (i'm suppose to be very part time, 1-2 days a week) so the next paycheck is going to be nice lol =)

dh is really getting into it. he needs new work shoes and wants to wait to get them til after this..... i tried to convince him that replacing work shoes that holes in them (they are the black reebok shape ones with mesh on the sides) is a necessity..... lol seriously though, i don't think those are going to last another 3 weeks!

supergirl_mommy
by on May. 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM

sounds like your having a great start to it..that's awesome..I am putting myself on a monthly spending allowance..and at the same time making sure that $84 goes straight to my savings to build our EF back up so far I have done good..we shall see how June goes lol

chosen_of_god
by on May. 31, 2011 at 11:47 AM
Wow that is awesome and I am definitely stealing that idea! I am trying to raise my credit score that I can get a car loan in december. So I can you use extra money to save up for a downpayment or pay on bills!

Tell us how is it going!
RocioLopez629
by on May. 31, 2011 at 12:52 PM

i think imma steal this idea also... Hope it works for u!! best of luck!!

i.heart.rachel
by on Jun. 3, 2011 at 3:03 PM

How did you end up doing?

connorsmom2009
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 5:43 PM

hmm. what a good plan can you do it to help you spend less also..

KayMMIV
by Group Owner on Jun. 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Quoting supergirl_mommy:

sounds like your having a great start to it..that's awesome..I am putting myself on a monthly spending allowance..and at the same time making sure that $84 goes straight to my savings to build our EF back up so far I have done good..we shall see how June goes lol

hope june is going well =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)