Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Telling others about your age? YES/NO/LIE?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 450 Total Views

I met my DH at 18 and he was 28. Nobody ever really asked us our age or my age because I didnt look that young. I had a good job so people assumed I was older. 

Now a couple years later, I look even more older but when his friends or our friends ask if we want to go with them to a club or something (we live in Vegas) I always have to come up with excuses.

Even people that we just meet they see us and ask my age. One, its rude and two should I just lie. lol 

Should I just say, ''hey Im not 21 yet'' lol I dont want them judging. My co-workers found out and I hear shit from them all the time its annoying.

Im not ashamed at all. Ill tell the world, I just wanna know what you guys say

Some people just dont get that we are happier than we have ever been!

by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
geminitwiins
by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM

I say do what you feel is right. You are right though, it's nobody's business but your's & his. My SO is 12 years older than me and we just celebrated our 10yr ann, and we still get looks and comments. And sometimes it's from our own kiddos (I have 4 from 2 previous marriages and the has 3 from his first). It get's annoying, but we are happy, so we just laugh it off and go on.

And kuddos to you for having a great job at a young age.

JanetR74
by Member on Apr. 9, 2012 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with gemini, handle it however you are comfortable with.  My bf is 21 and I'm 38 and pretty much everyone knows our ages.  Sometimes we do get the eye roll from people but I figure that's their problem not mine. 

mattiehatter
by New Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 7:07 AM
3 moms liked this

I've been with DH since I was 19. I was always honest when people asked, but I made them guess first. Nearly cold clocked the guy who guessed me at 36 (I was 20). I'm 23 now. I look older and he looks younger when he has his head shaved.

StartinNew1212
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 6:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JanetR74:

I agree with gemini, handle it however you are comfortable with.  My bf is 21 and I'm 38 and pretty much everyone knows our ages.  Sometimes we do get the eye roll from people but I figure that's their problem not mine. 

Mine is 23 and I am 42.  We get the same eye rolls and I feel the same way.  He does look older but pretty much everyone knows our ages.  The way I look at it if we are happy no one has the right to make us feel uncomfortable and they cannot unless we let them. 

You have to handle things they way it works best for you!  We have never lied about our ages and yes people say stupid things but we just let it role of our backs.  And honestly if there is a social situation that we know is going to be uncomfortable we talk about it and have in some cases decided not to go.  Its just not worth it. 

OhGloria
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 6:26 AM

Oh we've gotten the eye rolls before but it helps to have a good sense of humor.  My bf turned 21 when we first started seeing each other and we'd go to a bar and they'd think I was his mom.  We just usually don't pay attention to the looks anymore.

LolaLoves
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

No one cares about our age.

GabbyP.
by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I tell the truth and say to hell with them if they have a snarky comment. The snarky comments have happened in the past :/

Crazy_Mom69
by on Jul. 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I tell the truth if they really want to know. LOL

got3boyz
by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I tell people the truth and if they don't like it, that's their problem, not mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)