Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did anyone have trouble with his friends or family?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 292 Total Views

My DH lost his wife to cancer a couple years before we even met. He always saw her family as his own and even took in a couple of children that had no father (or none that wanted them) but once we got together they were angry at me for existing, everything they said they were mad about was to do with her being gone and my being here bringing that to the surface. They've started blogs, nasty gossip and even threatened physical harm when the only thing he and I are guilty of is being together. I get blamed for everything. He has even said many times why are they mad at you I did that. He has lost a large group of people he thought were his family and friends. Not his actually blood family and I say not his real friends the circle just got way smaller. Just curious if anyone else has dealt with this?

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ChrissyL90
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:28 AM

My dh's wife passed away also and I would babysit his kids.  His mom was here alot and she loved me.  Then when dh and I began our relationship her whole attitude changed towards me and no matter what I would do it was wrong.  She was outright mean to me and spiteful and no matter what I would do or say nothing would change her attitude towards me.  It took about a year into our relationship where she came to me and apologized for her behavior and now after close to 5 years we get along great and she's a wonderful grandmother to dh's two girls. 

alibrezzy154
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I get a lot of flack from my family the most because my husband and I are 10 years apart. they have been openly against it and even dh's kids birthmom has made alot of rude comment about me being in grade school when she was pregnant with her oldest son. dh has never been happier and neither have I. give it time people will start coming around after a while when they realize your not going anywhere anytime soon. :)

MsSugarSnap
by Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM

It's good to see I'm not alone. Thank you. I'm not sure time will do anything. They start new crap all the time without us involved. We've had some apologize only to find out it was a ploy to start more drama. We've been together for a while now and nothing settles. However, as I said it's all her family not his and some of their mutual friends. He wants to move accross country and just not deal with them. I'm thinking he's right about now as we have tried many times to be nice and make amends only to have explode for no reason. 

Myboysmom08
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband's family knew me before he and I got together - so they knew I was way older than him!!!  The funny thing about my story is that I knew my husband when I was in my twenties and he was a child.  I know some people may say - ohhhh that's gross!!!!  However - believe me - I never planned for this to happen - but what is ironic is that when he was a child - I looked at him and said to myself - he's going to make someone happy one day - smh!!!!  Little did I know it would be me!!!!!

Karla1948
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:49 AM

My d/h is in heaven now. He and I were 8 years apart, I was the older. Our age gap NEVER caused us problems with friends or family. But on occasion, during business dealings or with those we didn't know, I was mistaken for his mother. I certainly had no problem with that. But he did! ;)

Once I'm ready to start dating again, I do hope to date a younger man. I might be 64, but I look 54, and feel 44. Shameless?

Advertising Banner Designs - Only $9.00

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)