Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why does a parent who does not pay CS still have the right to see the child/children?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 304 Total Views

My SS's BM doesn't pay CS (never has). She was also out of the picture for 4 years, came back and now still gets to see SS EOWE just because "it's in the papers". I have a hard time with this because I think it should be "no responsibilities, no rights".

What do you think about this?

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Moma3boyz
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 1:16 PM
I whole heartedly agree. My ss bm its in and out sometimes yrs at a time, never follows court orders and still gets her visitation. Drives me nuts. The woman even has a cps record. The only thing the judge told her was no spanking. I was like who spanks with their fist? I just pray for their safety every time they leave with her and call to check on them when I can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nickysdestiny
by Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:28 PM
I think its wrong for a PARENT to have to PAY to see their child. CS has no baring on visitation
Vicky1975
by Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I don't think it's wrong for a parent to have to pay CS. Paying for a child is part of being a parent. Having a child costs money, and it takes two people to put a child into this world Both should be responsible for raising that child. However, if one of these people takes care of the child most of the time the other one should be required to help out financially. One parent is already bearing the burden of raising the child on a daily basis, and the other parent is (usually) the fun-parent. If the parent required to pay child support refuses to do so that shows bad parenting qualities. What would make one believe that that parent would be a good parent to that child? I am aware that in this world (unfortunately) it seems to be ok not to fulfill ones responsibilities, but still get rights.

Moma3boyz
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 11:49 PM
I dont think a parent should have to pay either, but I think a parent should be a parent ALL the time, not just when its fun or convenient. I think in a case when abm is in and out of their childs life every few years because they choose to be, they shouldn't have any right to step back in and say "it is in the papers" This just happened to us and it sucks that she can be a part time mom because of a paper written almost 9 yrs ago and the judge we have feels that no matter what the bm if always right, even with an abuse record.

Quoting nickysdestiny:

I think its wrong for a PARENT to have to PAY to see their child. CS has no baring on visitation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Outlander19
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 9:22 AM

My understanding has been that both the child support and the visitation are supposed to be for the children's benefit (however it works out in practice).  Just because the kids aren't getting one doesn't mean they don't also crave/need the other.

Yes, parents abuse this for their benefit, not the kids', but that's the theory behind it, anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)