Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Help with 99 boy

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:57 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 292 Total Views

We dont have video games. We dont want them.  He on the other hand does. I have no idea what to get him. He has new shoes and clothes. There are so many toys that it is ridiculous!! Please help!! He isn't an outside person, but we make him go out for a couple hours each day. Any ideas??  Thank you in advance.....Leigh

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
sammie_jo78
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM

If you're firm about the decision of no vid games...than stick to it.  I would give him a gift card and let him pick, as long as he knows it's not gonna buy video games.  My kids playstation broke and they play outside for hours and haven't even complained.  It's crazy!

Dawnness
by Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:41 AM

Are there specfic types of toys he plays with more than others?

If so, keep those types, toss the others (or donate or sell) and get him more of the ones he enjoys.

If he's the creative type of child, you could get him a collection of art supplies...paints, colored pencils, canvas boards, sketch books, brushes, sketching pencils, charcol...even glue & old magazines to cut up into collages.

For example my son loves construction type toys...legos, magnet sets, blocks, waffle blocks, lincoln logs, etc. He also has a large collection of street signs, small people, small animals, etc.

I do allow my son video games, but he's more in to creating them on the computer using Game Maker, a free online engine. (He has asked if we can get the upgrade for $20, which we will do.)  My son only has about 8 games for his Wii and about a dozen for his DS.

A question to you would be....what does your son like to do beside video games. With that info, we might have some better suggestions.

The following is only for a what if and FYI.....If for some reason you choose to allow video games (which I admire you for sticking to this rule in a world of electronic entertainment), you can make sure he gets only certain kinds... trivia games, stragety games, non-violent ones. Nintendo is very good for finding child friendly games. Personally I would stick with your rule, but if you change it, you can set times like 2 hours for video games only per day.

Wife to Scott, Mommy to Jander, & TTC #2 

in loveboy kissing momttc

amber0678
by Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 11:06 AM

this exactly!

Quoting Dawnness:

Are there specfic types of toys he plays with more than others?

If so, keep those types, toss the others (or donate or sell) and get him more of the ones he enjoys.

If he's the creative type of child, you could get him a collection of art supplies...paints, colored pencils, canvas boards, sketch books, brushes, sketching pencils, charcol...even glue & old magazines to cut up into collages.

For example my son loves construction type toys...legos, magnet sets, blocks, waffle blocks, lincoln logs, etc. He also has a large collection of street signs, small people, small animals, etc.

I do allow my son video games, but he's more in to creating them on the computer using Game Maker, a free online engine. (He has asked if we can get the upgrade for $20, which we will do.)  My son only has about 8 games for his Wii and about a dozen for his DS.

A question to you would be....what does your son like to do beside video games. With that info, we might have some better suggestions.

The following is only for a what if and FYI.....If for some reason you choose to allow video games (which I admire you for sticking to this rule in a world of electronic entertainment), you can make sure he gets only certain kinds... trivia games, stragety games, non-violent ones. Nintendo is very good for finding child friendly games. Personally I would stick with your rule, but if you change it, you can set times like 2 hours for video games only per day.

Amberbig smile minimommy to 3 and one on the way!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)