Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When will you let your children stay home alone

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 641 Total Views

My neighbor is 11 and my daughter will be in January. My neighbor is going to start letting her daughter take care of herself while she is at work. Both girls are responsible and mature for their age, but It's not them Im worried about, its everyone else. Im not sure when I will let my daughter start and I wanted to know how other mothers feel about this.

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sammie_jo78
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:28 AM

My ten year can stay home by herself for about 10 minutes while I go running.  She babysits her younger siblings too.  However, I wouldn't leave her any longer than that because I don't think she could handle it.  Babysteps!

Captiva5
by New Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Probally not for a few more years, I'm a stay at home mom so I'm able to be here after school I'm so thankful for that :) It's a scary thought for me to let my  10 year old home alone for more than a few mins.

lesliebutler
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Good question! I have let my 10 yr.old ADHD boy stay home alone on occassion during the day, usually after school for about an hour. It is not a regular thing, usually just while I run errands or there is an overlap in our work schedules.  I am working towards his independence so he feels "grown up". He only will answer the phone if he recognizes the caller ID number. Sometimes he likes to stay home alone and just watch TV, but sometimes he doesn't want to. I try not to leave him home alone with his 5 yr. old brother. I think they would try to "kill each other", so to say.

HFBMOM
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I always heard that 12 was the legal age for kids to be home by themselves.  If there is a fire or other emergencey, parents of kids under 12 that are home alone are investigated more, (I think).

amber0678
by Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 2:13 PM

good point...i'm with this, i'd say 12 is ok, for short periods of time like, a run to the store, or something of that nature...now as for watching his younger siblings as well? i dont think so....

Quoting HFBMOM:

I always heard that 12 was the legal age for kids to be home by themselves.  If there is a fire or other emergencey, parents of kids under 12 that are home alone are investigated more, (I think).

Amberbig smile minimommy to 3 and one on the way!

cruiser4
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 11:07 AM

My son will be 12 tomorrow and I leave him alone for short periods, but I won't leave him home alone with my daughter, who is 10. It will probably be a year or two before I leave them home together. 

lesliesam
by Member on Dec. 3, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Thanks everyone. The DHR (child services) people told me 10 and up depending on the child's maturity and responsibility. Like I said before Im not worried about her its everyone else. She is responsible and know what to do in an emergency. We are surrounded by family and friends, so she know to go to there house if need be or if she just wants to. I do let her stay home when i run up town its 2 minutes away and Im usually gone 10 to 30 minutes.  My home has been broken into 3 times and twice I was home and once with the kids here. We were all still in bed. My mom was robbed a few years ago. She was outside and a man just walked up in the yard and forced her in the house. My mom and I use to take a lot of medications, one being methadone, mainly pain meds and muscle relaxers, so thats why we were robbed. I had money and other valuables lying around, so did my mom and all they took was our meds.

lesliesam
by Member on Dec. 3, 2009 at 11:44 PM

My son is 9 and ADHD/ODD , I can't trust him to go to the bathroom, let alone let him stay home by himself. It will be several years before I even consider it. My daughter is very responsible and smart, Im just not sure about leaving her alone.

Quoting lesliebutler:

Good question! I have let my 10 yr.old ADHD boy stay home alone on occassion during the day, usually after school for about an hour. It is not a regular thing, usually just while I run errands or there is an overlap in our work schedules.  I am working towards his independence so he feels "grown up". He only will answer the phone if he recognizes the caller ID number. Sometimes he likes to stay home alone and just watch TV, but sometimes he doesn't want to. I try not to leave him home alone with his 5 yr. old brother. I think they would try to "kill each other", so to say.

lisajellybean
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 3:34 PM

I only let my little man stay alone for no more than a 1/2 hr. I am a worry wart so i worry bout him staying alone. If i do leave him to go to town i am constantly calling him to make sure he's ok, but now that we have a level 3 sex offender that live 10 miles away i have become even more protective. I think in a few yrs i will let him stay alone longer but i cant right now 

Dawnness
by Member on Dec. 28, 2009 at 5:30 AM

Wow! Sorry to hear about the robberies.

Can you increase your security? Not just an alarm (I know they are expensive), but there are things you can get to make the doors and windows more secure.

If you do decide to leave you DD home alone, get her a simple, cheap cell phone. Require that she keeps it on her person at all time, even at home. Clarify that it's for emergancies only or to call a family member, neighbor, you...if she needs help. I suggest this, so if someone does break in and she's home and she is able to hide or get away, she has a way to contact someone.

Quoting lesliesam:

Thanks everyone. The DHR (child services) people told me 10 and up depending on the child's maturity and responsibility. Like I said before Im not worried about her its everyone else. She is responsible and know what to do in an emergency. We are surrounded by family and friends, so she know to go to there house if need be or if she just wants to. I do let her stay home when i run up town its 2 minutes away and Im usually gone 10 to 30 minutes.  My home has been broken into 3 times and twice I was home and once with the kids here. We were all still in bed. My mom was robbed a few years ago. She was outside and a man just walked up in the yard and forced her in the house. My mom and I use to take a lot of medications, one being methadone, mainly pain meds and muscle relaxers, so thats why we were robbed. I had money and other valuables lying around, so did my mom and all they took was our meds.

The Happy Spinners. A group of a various topics! http://www.cafemom.com/group/thehappyspinners
Wife to Scott,
Mommy to Jander, & TTC #2 
in loveboy kissing momttc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)