Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

addicted to Pokemon?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:04 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 240 Total Views

are any of your kids addicted to Pokemon cards??? my almost 10y/o is so hooked on it its freaking driving me crazy! I just think they are bad evil things. Today I finally had it he took it to school with him and I had already warned him about not taking it I found it and threw it away!! he was crying but I just had to its changing him. Anyone else's kid into that Pokemon??? Did I do wrong in throwing his binder away?? 

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lesliebutler
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 4:06 PM

My boys (ages 9 & 5) both love Pokemon. Anytime they have money or we go to the store, they want to buy Pokemon cards. They also have a few Pokemon movies & books. At first, I was against Pokemon, mainly because I didn't understand it. Now I have grown accustomed to it, and they do like other things so I guess they are not addicted! But if it was up to me, I would not introduce Pokemon to any kid.

HFBMOM
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Both my daughter and son love Pokemon too.  I agree with you that your son should not have taken his cards to school, but I disagree with throwing them away.   I think removing them and putting them on "time-out" for a few days would be more appropriate.  Perhaps, only letting him play with them on weekends. 

Throwing them away seems extra harsh, I'm sure your son has put a lot of effort and thought into the binder (the order the cards are displayed in, which cards to try to  trade or to buy etc),  I don't understand the game, because I've never tried to learn it, but I know that the kids around here bring their cards on playdates and they are a big social activity, not so different than baseball cards in the old days. 

If you can retrieve them, I would.  If you really think they are evil and can't stand them at all, help him sell them or give them to friends and neighbors, I'm sure they would love the chance to get the cards they want from your son's collection.

Julie
Enhancing Lives and Helping Moms Work from Home
www.HealthyFamilyBiz.com

asiamommi
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 2:28 PM

As much as those things cost??! Bad idea IMO. I would have taken them away for a week, but what's done is done.

My DD prefers the video games. I think I'd rather she played with the cards. Seems like it requires more thinking and social interaction. I wouldn't say sh'e obeseed. She has many interest and that is just one of them.

sweet.p82
by Member on Aug. 30, 2009 at 9:03 PM

My son used to be really hooked on them, but now has outgrown them. He's 10. I wouldn't worry about them being "evil". I think they are just harmless fun, much like baseball cards used to be. I agree with the other moms that taking the cards away for a few days would be a better choiceIf you can retrive them, I would do it. They cost a freaking fortune. Good Luck.

CafeMom Tickers
MrsTheakston
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 11:03 PM

My son is addicted to Poke' Mon on his Nintendo DSi, I could think of alot worse things for him to be addicted to at his age. It keeps him busy, and he has found something that he likes to do that helps him make new friends and keeps him out of trouble. I am not judging you at all, but I would not have thrown them away. I would put a limit on how much time he spends on playing the game, just like video games.

Good luck, :)

K.D.J.
by New Member on Aug. 31, 2009 at 8:34 AM

My son likes Pokemon alot he has the ds games and the cards.  We have a rule at home as well as school no pokemon at school the teachers take them if found and will not return them or if I find out that he took them to school we throw them a way.  Also if they are not kept in his room they get tossed in the trash.  So I do not think that it was wrong to throw them out if you warned him before hand.  My son knows what will happen and he is getting better about takeing care of his things.

life3520
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2009 at 12:38 PM

I have 3 boys that are into pokemon, One is almost out of the craze, but the other two i still have to fight with, I made the mistake of buying them a pokemon game for there DS, now i can hardly get them to do anything. I swear this pokemon mess has to end, I know i would never throw away the cards though, They cost to much, besides you can sell them on ebay.

Barabell
by on Sep. 14, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I wish it was Pokemon.  My kid has become addicted to the xBox 360 over the past month.  He was already playing it again this morning in his PJs while I was getting ready for work.  I'll be happy when the hockey season starts again, and he'll be too busy to play video games as much.  Homework, practices and games will take over all our lives!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)