Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natalie Prtman to conquer "Zombies"

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:43 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 316 Total Views

From CNN entertainment --

If all of the film adaptations of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" have left your brain numb, this one may really kill you ... in a good way.

Natalie Portman has signed on to produce and star in the movie version of the best-selling book "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies," written by Seth Grahame-Smith and, uh, Jane Austen.

This expanded version of the Austen classic adds a twist on the well-known love story when the outbreak of a deadly virus begins to turn townsfolk into killers. Elizabeth Bennet struggles to balance her blossoming love for Mr. Darcy with her obligation to kick some zombie butt.

And who better to bring the right combination of elegance, wit, and edginess to the role of Elizabeth Bennet than Portman? She certainly has the chops to convince us to embrace this version of Elizabeth -- a woman who at long last will have a proper outlet for her sense of purpose.

Sure, zombies may seem like a peculiar addition to the original text, but there is something about the outbreak of the undead in 19th-century England that somehow makes the story more accessible.

The idea that love can blossom in spite of treacherous, external forces is really a modern concept. Besides, who hasn't had to slay a couple of zombies to land Mr. Right?

Does this mean I need to read the book now?  I forgot, who read it and who liked it?

Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love.

-Jane Austen

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 4:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LibbyLife
by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Ummm, I read parts of it for a laugh.  It was funny.  But I didn't actually sit down and read the whole thing through.

p.s.  I watched Bridget Jones' Diary last night for the umpteenth time.  Colin Firth is such a cutie!  The only part I don't like is when the "F" word comes out of his mouth right at the end of the movie.  I don't think Mr. Darcy should say the "F" word!  JMHO, LOL!

Colleen801
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Bridget Jones' Diary is one of my favorite go to movies for a quick pick me up.  I love that one too.  I wish the second one was as good. 

I hadn't realize how popilar the zombie book had become.

Sacredmama
by on Dec. 17, 2009 at 12:22 AM

I read it and liked it...okay it was pretty humorous to me and it will be interesting to see it on screen....I just hope Portman has a decent accent...it is hard to watch americans do a british accent without ruining it for me...but I'm hopeful.

Syra3.14159
by Member on Dec. 18, 2009 at 11:34 AM

I'll have to see the movie!  I want to read the book, but I just can't bring myself to buy it or get it from the library.  I"m hoping Santa will give it to me.

Colleen801
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2009 at 8:46 PM

I thought her accent was good in The Other Boleyn Girl.  I think she will be good.  I will have to read the book before it comes out...I think we have awhile yet.  Scheduled release is sometime in 2011. 

Colleen801
by Bronze Member on Dec. 18, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Well, if I ever get around to buying it myself I will send you my copy when I finish it. if you don't get one from Santa :)

Quoting Syra3.14159:

I'll have to see the movie!  I want to read the book, but I just can't bring myself to buy it or get it from the library.  I"m hoping Santa will give it to me.

Sacredmama
by on Dec. 22, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Who do you all think will get the part of Darcy in THIS adaptation?  Who would you all fancy being the Darcy killing off zombies?  I have a few ideas:  I'm a sucker for Richard Armitage for a first pick....hmmm and Henry Cavill would be nice...

lovemtmountains
by Group Admin on Dec. 24, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I have the book and have started reading it. Not too bad actually. I have giggled at a few parts. :-) I'll see the movie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)