Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm reading Emma for the first time and...

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 376 Total Views

....I had heard that Clueless was based on this story and am finding the similarities very amusing. Has anyone read Emma and watched Clueless? Even the names! I can see where this is going just by having watched Clueless several times.

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LibbyLife
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I LOVE Emma and I LOVED Clueless!

eminelson
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I'm reading Emma too for the first time..and I enjoyed Clueless as well :-D

Tayandstevenmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Emma is the first JA book I ever read.  I read it when I was 16 and loved it so much that I think now I have 3 or 4 copies of it and read it about twice a year.

Mommy of Taylor and Steven

LibbyLife
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:31 PM

Quoting Tayandstevenmom:

Emma is the first JA book I ever read.  I read it when I was 16 and loved it so much that I think now I have 3 or 4 copies of it and read it about twice a year.

I think it was my first too.  Or at least the first I read without being assigned for an English class.

EvaLee
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I've read all of JA's books except Emma up until this point. I ready P&P at least once a year. In the past, everytime I tried to read Emma I got bored after the first few pages and gave up. I was put off by the introduction. Now I am really enjoying it.

EvaLee
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Just because, I want to say who is who. I'll say which character in Clueless is based on the JA Emma character.

Cher is Emma, Elton is Mr. Elton, Travis is Mr. Martin, Tai is Harriet Smith, and though I'm only on chapter 7 I'd have to say that Josh is based on Mr. Knightly.

lovemtmountains
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Yeah, Josh is Mr Knightley. I like Emma ok. She's a little spoiled but she comes around. I loved the movie Clueless. And when I read Emma I also saw the similarities. It's fun when that happens.

Colleen801
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I knew that Clueless was loosely based on Emma.  Emma is my least favorite JA book...but I love the movie Clueless.  I found Emma irritating but Cher funny.  

Syra3.14159
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:32 PM

I think I liked Clueless better for being based on Emma.  I like teen movies based on classics because they actually have plots!

Katsmom05
by Group Owner on Jan. 27, 2009 at 6:36 PM

I have to admit that I only watched 'Clueless' because it was based in Southern California. Isn't it scarry to hear that I used to know kids like them!

'Emma' is not one of my favorite JA books but it was ok.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)