• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Events close to Feb 14th in JA novels

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 124 Total Views

I'm not sure if these are accurate but the for sake of it being Feb 13 and Valentine's tomorrow  am posting them :-)  Enjoy!

happy valentine

http://www.janeausten.co.uk/magazine/page.ihtml?pid=152&step=4

Sense and Sensibility

The party at which Lucy Steele and Elinor Dashwood meet "their" prospective mother-in-law is called "the important Tuesday" which I make out to have occurred on Feb 13, 1798. It is at this party Lucy makes her fortunate impression on Fanny Dashwood and Mrs Ferrars, and this leads to Fanny inviting Lucy & Ann Steeleto her house in order to fend off her husband thinking they ought to invite Elinor; their coming to her house leads to the revelation of the engagement; at this party Mrs Ferrars does all she can to mortify Elinor and Marianne becomes publicly deeply distressed as she identifies with what is going on within Elinor.

In Emma:  the Coles's party where Emma makes such a fool of herself, telling Frank on the one hand the piano is a gift from Mr Dixon, is herself mortified by the piano playing of Jane, but at which Jane suffers far more from knowing what is being said about her, from the preening triumphant offers of Mrs Cole to let Jane use the piano anytime (echoing Lady Catherine de Bourgh to Elizabeth), from the flirting of Emma and Frank occurs on a Tuesday which day is mentioned more than once; Jo Modert (and I agree) makes it out to be Feb 15th, which makes the day of the piano's arrival to be Valentine's Day (Mon, the 14th--Frank went for his haircut on Sat, the 12th);

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Katsmom05
by Group Owner on Feb. 16, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Thanks for the update, Emi!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)