Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just started making baby food, need tips, recipes, and help!!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:36 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 253 Total Views

Hey Everyone!  My daughter just started on baby food about a month ago, She's 8 months old and VERY small for her age,  she just moved into 3-6 month clothing because...  well honestly I got sick of seeing the same clothing for 5 months (she was in preemie and newborn for 3) and thought it might give her body a hint, it hasn't worked. But anyway lol, I got a food processor and am having a BLAST! making her food, but I am very much a rookie. I never had this chance with my son and I regret it, I'll for sure make all my future childrens food. I'm not against Gerber jarred or anything I just love the look when she gets Mama's instead of jarred, she lights up and it makes me feel so good and important. I know that sounds selfish but I know that its good for her too!!  My biggest issue is like I said, I'm a HUGE rookie. I need all the tips, cooking tips, and recipes I can get, I am so excited about doing this just need some direction, if you have any questions for me or anything just ask, I can't wait to expand on what she's eating :)  Thank you so much for reading!!

by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TonyaLea
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:04 PM

Quoting mama03208706:

Hey Everyone!  My daughter just started on baby food about a month ago, She's 8 months old and VERY small for her age,  she just moved into 3-6 month clothing because...  well honestly I got sick of seeing the same clothing for 5 months (she was in preemie and newborn for 3) and thought it might give her body a hint, it hasn't worked. But anyway lol, I got a food processor and am having a BLAST! making her food, but I am very much a rookie. I never had this chance with my son and I regret it, I'll for sure make all my future childrens food. I'm not against Gerber jarred or anything I just love the look when she gets Mama's instead of jarred, she lights up and it makes me feel so good and important. I know that sounds selfish but I know that its good for her too!!  My biggest issue is like I said, I'm a HUGE rookie. I need all the tips, cooking tips, and recipes I can get, I am so excited about doing this just need some direction, if you have any questions for me or anything just ask, I can't wait to expand on what she's eating :)  Thank you so much for reading!!

LOL, don't feel bad, making baby food can be VERY rewarding.  My trick starting out was I would go and look at all the gerber jars to get ideas for stuff to make myself, then I slowly started venturing out and discovered www.wholesomebabyfood.com, which is like the encyclopedia of baby food making.  :)  Have fun and let us know how it goes. 

Lilypie

Group Owner: Cooking for Toddlers
Group Admin: Frugal & Thrifty Moms (Weekly Menu Planner)
mama03208706
by on Oct. 12, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Quoting TonyaLea:

Quoting mama03208706:

LOL, don't feel bad, making baby food can be VERY rewarding.  My trick starting out was I would go and look at all the gerber jars to get ideas for stuff to make myself, then I slowly started venturing out and discovered http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/, which is like the encyclopedia of baby food making.  :)  Have fun and let us know how it goes. 

LOL  Just found that website and am seriously thinking of making myself a baby food cookbook :D   Way too much fun lol  (doesn't take much to make me happy I guess) lol  thank you SO much!!

WandK06
by on Oct. 13, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Def. go to that website, it's  AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! 

You can buy the trays at Babies R Us to freeze (if you are doing that).  You get 2 for $10. 

I just started too... My son is 7 months old... My first son, hated baby food.. Never ate it... So once I knew that Finnegan loved it, I immediately went out and bought the trays for freezing, a book (The Everything Organic Cooking for Baby and Toddler Book), and produce!  

I just use the stove/microwave/oven/steamer to steam everything and then my food processor to blend everything.  My BF is going to buy me a attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer that purees. 

Like the other poster said, it's so rewarding.. While you sitting there feeding your LO, you are not only proud of yourself for what you've done, but you also know what their eating!!

Good Luck! 

weelicious
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2009 at 7:44 PM

My best suggestion is to find a farmers market selling seasonal produce. Often farmers have fresh fruits and veggies at lower prices and amounts that you choose. Freezing is another great tip. Making double batches to save for months ahead is a great tip!

Avocados and egg yolks are usually popular with babies and good for putting on a little weight.

www.weelicious.com
ANGIE409
by on Oct. 15, 2009 at 2:53 PM

You should buy in season fruits and veggies, de-seed, steam or bake (sweet potatos, potatos, squash, eggplant are easier in the oven, cut in half with a little water in the bottom of the pan) puree and freeze them in ice cube trays.  Once frozen, take them out of the trays and put them into labeled freezer bags (date and food type).  Foods are good for 2-3 mo. in a regular freezer and 6 mo. in a deep freezer.  For out of season fruits and veggies, frozen with no added salt or sugar is best.  Just make sure you steam them before you puree and re-freeze.  The only two fruits and veggies that don't need to be steamed are Banana and Avocado.  They can just be pureed and frozen as is.  I always did single ingredient purees and got creative while serving.  i.e. Mix one cube apple and one cube berries for lunch and one cube avocado with one cube banana for dinner.  My daughter gave up purees altogether around 9 mo. and went strictly to finger foods so I never served meats in pureed form...only fruits and veggies.  Make sure you introduce new foods one at a time, waiting 4 days before introducing the next.  My suggestion is that you introduce as much as possible during the first year...they start to get a lot pickier during that second year. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)