Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often to feed solids? And other questions.

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 227 Total Views

Wesley will be 6 months old soon and I am starting to think about solids! He is EBF now and we've decided that we'll feed him homemade food. We're going to start with avacados. My question is: how often do we feed him solids? 

Example - Dec 15th (his 6 mth b-day) I feed him avacado after our 2nd nursing session (usually this is around 10 am). Should I feed him more avacado later that day? Or wait until the next day? The next day, feed him avacado? Or something else? At the same time? Or another time? 

I would prefer to feed him solids after our "dinner" nursing session - which would be the one right after DH and I eat dinner. But I don't want to give him new things at that time. So after the initial solid feeding can I switch the solid feeding time to dinner?

Do I need to wait 4 days after the initial solid feeding to feed him solids again? Or just to change the solid to something else?  

Sorry for all the questions! Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
weelicious
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 4:37 PM

I generally recommend feeding new foods in the am, so if there's an allergy (which happens rarely), you will have time to deal with it during the day.

When you first start giving your baby food, it's just so he can start tasting new foods. Don't worry about giving the food several times a day. My daughter has been eating for 6 weeks, so now we give her food 3 times a day. 

Avocado is a great first food. You might want to try something more liquid, though, like pureed butternut squash or apples. Avocados are delicious, but a bit thick.

If you need any other advice, just reach out!

www.weelicious.com
BlueBeauties
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 8:55 PM

You can add some breast milk, water or formula to thin it.

Quoting weelicious:
Avocado is a great first food. You might want to try something more liquid, though, like pureed butternut squash or apples. Avocados are delicious, but a bit thick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)