Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eggs and my 9 month old

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2008 at 3:59 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 4627 Total Views

I just started my 9 month old on egg yolks almost 2 weeks ago.  He has done just fine with them.  I know he can not have egg white until he is 12 months old.  But, can he have whole eggs if they are mixed and baked in something, like quiche??  Or if it is like french toast?

by on Aug. 8, 2008 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MaMaWolff70
by on Aug. 8, 2008 at 4:38 PM

If you have no reason to suspect allergies and have had no issues the everything should be o.k.  Everything cooked should be fine.  There are whole eggs in pancakes, crackers, cookies, muffins...you get the picture.  The baking or cooking at a high temp takes care of most issues.   All my children were eating whole eggs by 8mo & egg white omelets on occasion by 9 ish (9 1/2) mo. 

The other side to that is we raise all our own chickens and gather our own eggs so I know they are organic, I know my birds are kept in a clean open environment and, with the exception of 1 month to estabish the gradens, they run free all over 5 of our 145 acres.  If you are worried wait but I think a little french toast would be just fine.  GOOD LUCK! 

ttaylor1998
by Member on Aug. 8, 2008 at 5:52 PM

I'l be giving Mason eggs by 7-8 months old- scrambled, etc.  We have no history of allergies, though.  Like PP said, I see no worry with the whole eggs.

Kind of off topic, but why is it okay to give egg yolks and not the whites?  I've never heard of having to wait. 

"You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them."      -Desmond Tutu

shelibeli
by on Aug. 8, 2008 at 5:55 PM
It's something about the types of proteins in egg whites as opposed to egg yolks that are more likely to cause allergic reactions in babies.
Quoting Pooty:

I just started my 9 month old on egg yolks almost 2 weeks ago.  He has done just fine with them.  I know he can not have egg white until he is 12 months old.  But, can he have whole eggs if they are mixed and baked in something, like quiche??  Or if it is like french toast?

Is your hubby a SAHD? Join my group! http://www.cafemom.com/group/sahdwives

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Pooty
by on Aug. 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM

Good question----I have no idea why the yolks are ok and not the whites!

Quoting ttaylor1998:

I'l be giving Mason eggs by 7-8 months old- scrambled, etc.  We have no history of allergies, though.  Like PP said, I see no worry with the whole eggs.

Kind of off topic, but why is it okay to give egg yolks and not the whites?  I've never heard of having to wait. 

weelicious
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2008 at 2:53 PM
Sadly, it's not a great idea.
www.weelicious.com
CarrieKMom22
by on Sep. 4, 2008 at 9:05 PM

The whites of the egg contain the protein(s) that cause allergic reactions in some people.  You should check out this site for all the info you need about eggs!  It even has a list of what eggs are listed as on foods - like album is egg so we avoid that!

www.wholesomebabyfood.com/eggs.htm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)