Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need ur imput on a warning some one put out on homemade baby food

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:11 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 263 Total Views

what do u ladies have to say about this.. cause i was about to get things to really start making food for DD who is 6 months old
Quote:

Making your own babyfood WARNING!!!!!!!

PeapodsMom

Jul. 12, 2007 at 5:21 PM by PeapodsMom
posted to Winter 2006-2007 Babies

Reply to Post

5 Replies 35 Total Views

I had my son's 6 mo checkup today, and I had a list of questions for my Ped (no joke, 2pgs long...)
Anyway, most of it was regarding solids. I asked her about making my own baby food - she said that was fine AFTER 9 months...NOT to do it before because baby food is made from special produce grown just for it, so it has low nitrate levels.
Foods (even organic) sold for adult consumption have nitrate levels too high that can cause a unusual and very serious type of anemia.
She gave me a pamphlet from the AAP that specifically says NOT to make your own too early...
And after they are 9 mo old, if you are going to make your own serve them fresh (or freeze) because the nitrate levels can rise the longer they are in the fridge.

Just thought I'd pass this along, since even though I read everything I can get my hands on I didn't know this!!

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Randi02
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:17 PM
It's ok to feed them before 9 months. Just homemade carrots, spinach and beets are high in nitrates and it's best to wait until about 8 months. That's it.

Tell her to go to

www.wholesomebabyfood.com

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

MCKsmomma
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 1:45 PM
thanks

Mamaslove07
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 6:19 PM
I have heard the same thing. I think it's fine. Actually I think it's still better than store bought, Anything that has a 2 yr. shelf life......... I don't know.
MCKsmomma
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 10:19 PM
thanks for the imput i found something about it in one of the posts at the top too

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)