Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Steam or Boil

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 1:34 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 277 Total Views
Just curious....I am going to make applesauce for my baby, but Im not sure if I should just boil them, or buy a pot to steam them. Isnt steaming better because the vitamins, etc dont leave the apples...or whatever you are cooking? Can you guys give advice and maybe your recipe...Thanks

by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 1:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MelaneesMommie
by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 1:37 AM

honestly I cut mine into smaller pieces and boiled them in just a bit of water. Then when I pureed them I used that same water so that the vitamins would still be in the apples. I just didnt use a lot of water and they came out great!
MCKsmomma
by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 1:56 AM

Quoting MelaneesMommie:

honestly I cut mine into smaller pieces and boiled them in just a bit of water. Then when I pureed them I used that same water so that the vitamins would still be in the apples. I just didnt use a lot of water and they came out great!

Did the same thing... worked great

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

mzsepeda
by on Jul. 17, 2007 at 12:13 AM
yep me too! :)

love, wyatt and eli's mommy

kkutella
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 2:14 PM
I steam my apples. Just buy a metal steamer thing that you put in a normal pot. Mine was like $3. And yes...steaming keeps in the most nutrients, but boiling is fine.

Owner of Baby Boys http://www.cafemom.com/group/11346/

butterflynessa
by on Jul. 27, 2007 at 2:18 AM
So I ended up boiling the apples...turned out good..
I got a little steamer thing and steamed some pears, and it worked really good....and yummy...
I also made some squash, which she loves....I baked that. she loves my homemade food better than the nasty store bought stuff...the fruit was always sour. Yay!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)