Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When is Whole milk really ok?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:30 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 176 Total Views
OK
So I know that most people say 1 year is best for starting whole milk but I started when I was 7 months
I realise times have changed and things they did back in '85 are unheard of now but other than the difculty of digesting some babies have when is ok to try?
what is in milk today that could be worse for my child now than way back when?
Is there really that much difference between 10 months and 12?
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
snailteacher
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:34 PM
We talked to logans ped at about 10 mo.  He refused to drink formula and I ran out of frozen bm.  So, she said it was fine to try, he was over 20 lbs at 9mo, and told us just to watch, that it makes some constipated.
I would call ped and see what they say.  My friend started their son at 9mo  for the same reasons with ped. okay
snailteacher
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 7:35 PM
btw, when I was little you could start milk when you fit 12 lb
my brother had milk at 1 mo
cali4niachef
by Group Owner on Jul. 29, 2007 at 5:40 PM
yes there is a difference between starting cows milk at 10 months and 12 months.

Use of cow's milk before a year is controversial among experts. You might want to get your baby's doctor's opinion on this.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NO cow's milk until after the first birthday.

Cow's milk is more specific to a baby cow than a baby human. Cow's milk formula is based on cow's milk but has been engineered to be closer to human milk (still a ways off, but closer). Many infants still have problems with cow's milk formula (allergies, GI problems, etc.). Babies who are exposed to cow's milk before their first birthday are more likely to be anemic, have diarrhea or vomiting, and/or experience an allergic reaction (the proteins in milk are more numerous than those in other milk products, such as the yogurt). The excessive protein load in cow's milk can also overload a baby's kidneys. It is deficient in vitamins C, E, and copper. It is harder to digest as well, often causing intestinal blood loss. A number of studies have also indicated that early introduction of cow's milk may contribute to the development of Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milk-supplements.html#cow

The Use of Whole Cow's Milk in Infancy
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/89/6/1105

Why can I give my baby yogurt and cheeses but not whole cow’s milk?

• Unlike Whole Cow Milk beverage, your baby is not at risk of formula/breast milk being replaced by Yogurt or Cheese.  The medical community worries that if Whole Cow milk is introduced to an infant prior to 1 year old, that parents would stop formula and/or breastfeeding and use Milk as the replacement. This would possibly be dangerous to your baby's health!

• Lactose is already broken down with the culturing of the yogurt or cheese and milk proteins are either removed or limited thus it is typically easier to digest; people with lactose intolerance often are be able to handle cheese and/or yogurt without trouble.  The same is true for some people with a milk protein (either to the casein or the whey) allergy.

Milk does not contain enough nutrients, vitamins or minerals for it to adequately sustain a growing infant.  We are told to NOT give baby milk until after 1 year of age mostly because milk is NOT enough to meet all of baby's specific nutritional requirements during the first year of life.  Babies should be on breast milk or formula or a combo of both until after 1 yr old. nd yogurt are ok prior to 1 year.

Further, studies show that even people who are lactose intolerant may be able to easily digest Yogurt (and even cheeses). Lactose is converted to lactic acid during the manufacture/culturing of yogurt.  People with lactose intolerance or even a milk protein allergy, are often more apt to easily digest Yogurt (and even Cheese) than other dairy product.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/dairy.htm#Why%20can%20I%20give%20my%20baby%20yogurt%20and%20cheeses%20but%20not%20whole%20cow’s%20milk

~ Cindy 
(mama to 22 month old nursling, childbirth junkie, coffee addict, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor and IBCLC in training)

"It is curious commentary on our society that we tolerate all degrees of explicitness in our literature and mass media as regards sex and violence, but the normal act of breast feeding is taboo" - American Academy of Pediatrics

"If you don't know your options, you don't have any." - Diana Korte, A Good Birth, A Safe Birth

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)