Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

orange foods

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:31 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 291 Total Views
I just found this group and I am really glad that I did because its probably the best group toask my question.
I made some baby foods at home (just the easy stuff) like carrot, sweet potatoes, apples, peaches and bananas. I dont want to go through the problem of straining the peas (it said somewhere that you have to strain them because they will never mix smooth), same goes for green beans. My problem is that so far everything I made is ORANGE!!! Does any of you have some ideas? I can just buy Gerber peas no problem but its fun for me and very rewarding to make it myself. What other color veg and fruits can you make at home?
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kkutella
by on Jul. 26, 2007 at 2:11 PM
Check out this website http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ and click on the Foods By Type and Age tab. There's a list with all kinds of friuts/vegetables/etc that you can make yourself.

Baby Boys http://www.cafemom.com/group/11346/

noochymama
by on Jul. 28, 2007 at 9:55 PM
i had a hard time with the green veggies too. i just buy the delmonte ones. i tried peas once, and it worked ok, but like you said the straining thing is hard. i ended up with green water. i think if you cook them longer it works better. i could never get green beans to work. my mom said she always used homemade canned green beans from someone's garden. well, i don't have a friend with a garden! :)
CookMom
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 12:08 AM
I just did peas.  My son did okay with them- I used a frozen bag.  The weird thing to me was the color!  They are bright green- the Gerber ones are like Army Green.  Also, my son likes spinach.  I don't think it is a super big deal what the food color is- I always have to remind myself that it is not my son getting bored, lol it is me!
KayMa679
by on Jul. 29, 2007 at 1:20 AM
Hey, I had exactly the same "problem"!! Here are some green foods I made for my baby, though: -avocado (mashed up and diluted with purified water) -spinach (steamed until very soft, then pureed with the cooking water) -broccoli (steamed/boiled until very very soft, then mashed up with fork) But yeah, I wanted her to be eating foods of several different colors. I've decided to go for beets soon :) (beware reddish poop)
skylersmom06
by on Aug. 14, 2007 at 1:50 AM

i make my baby frozen peas, frozen organic green beans, sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini, eggplant, carrots, white potatoes (cannot be frozen)

to get smoother peas and green beans i just add water while i'm pureeing.

for fruits i make mashed bananas, avacado, peaches, apples, cherries, pears, mango

now she is at the point where i can take most of the things we eats for dinner and blend it up....she really likes pot roast with potatoes and carrots.

hasinka
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Quoting skylersmom06:

i make my baby frozen peas, frozen organic green beans, sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini, eggplant, carrots, white potatoes (cannot be frozen)

to get smoother peas and green beans i just add water while i'm pureeing.

for fruits i make mashed bananas, avacado, peaches, apples, cherries, pears, mango

now she is at the point where i can take most of the things we eats for dinner and blend it up....she really likes pot roast with potatoes and carrots.

why can't potatoes be frozen?

Bella 02/27/2007

skylersmom06
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 10:59 PM
white potatoes just dont do well when you freeze then thaw them. i usually set some aside for my daughter when i am making mashed potatoes for dinner before i add the butter, milk, salt and pepper.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)