Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

salmon for 9 month old

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:11 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 782 Total Views
I was wondering if it is okay to give my 9 month old salmon? Most fish recipes I see for this age are for cod or white fish. I googled it but didn't find anything that said not to but it didn't say it was okay either. Thanks in advance.
Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JGingrich
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:37 PM

I gave my DD salmon at about 9mo. She did fine. I just gave her a little bit. Just make sure that its fresh not packaged. Smoked and packaged salmon has a LOT of salt.

AudlyLuvly
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:14 PM

i think they say to wait, but i'm not sure until when... because of mercury.. but i'm not sure... so.. who knows...

Galdarisimom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 11:51 PM
Quoting JGingrich:

I gave my DD salmon at about 9mo. She did fine. I just gave her a little bit. Just make sure that its fresh not packaged. Smoked and packaged salmon has a LOT of salt.

What about fresh frozen salmon? Is do they add salt to that as well?
Cynthje
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 7:27 AM

I gave my son salmon at that age, it was fresh frozen salmon (cant get fresh un-frozen salmon here) and he loved it. We dont eat a lot of meat and my son will still take fish over meat any day!

mummerums
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Quoting AudlyLuvly:

i think they say to wait, but i'm not sure until when... because of mercury.. but i'm not sure... so.. who knows...

this time the mercury worry is with farm raised rather than fresh...so look for wild salmon...my lil one is 9 mos as well...happy 9 months to us...lol

JGingrich
by on Jan. 29, 2009 at 8:41 PM

Quoting Galdarisimom:

Quoting JGingrich:

What about fresh frozen salmon? Is do they add salt to that as well?

No, the fresh frozen is fine. Check to make sure that it doesn't have anything added. There shouldn't be any salt added to the frozen.

Lesleigh213
by on Jan. 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Ditto.  For little people stay away from farm raised, it is full of mercury.  We only feed ourselves wild salmon.  I've tried to give it to DD, but she just looks at me like I'm crazy ..

Quoting mummerums:

Quoting AudlyLuvly:

this time the mercury worry is with farm raised rather than fresh...so look for wild salmon...my lil one is 9 mos as well...happy 9 months to us...lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)