Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

reaction to store bought baby food

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:51 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 300 Total Views

i know i posted earlier about camping and taking my homemade baby food, but the more i got to thinking about it the more i thought it would just be a pain. we are going with two other families and i don't wanna be hogging the fire/stove when its time to feed austin. so i thought about buying baby food from the store and now i'm having doubts about it. (i feel kinda guilty). does anyone know how long it really takes to boil the frozen tubes of food (i thought about trying it before we go) and also if i do buy baby food do you think he may have a reaction to it. also my little guy is having problems with mashed bananas (he gags and really doesn't care for them) i was just gonna buy them but have the same worries and wondered if anyone has these concerns/problems too. sorry so long. thanks for reading!

by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
WilliamsMama08
by on May. 24, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I'm not sure about the camping part, I am having the same delima, but as for he mashed bananas, LO did the same thing until I pured them.

tr83angel
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:41 PM

I wouldnt take anything with you that youd be worried about feeding him. I really dont think you have to worry about an allergic reaction to jared baby food, you could buy the organic too. As long as its something that youve fed him before I think youll be fine.As for the bananas... My girls are now 11 months but they would never eat them mashed it was either pureed or cut into peices. Hope that helps!

steamtrain1003
by New Member on May. 24, 2009 at 11:01 PM

You have to do what feels comforable for you.  For me I fed Nicholas homemade food always when we were home and when we traveled IF IT MADE SENSE.  I did (and still do) use jared food to make things simpler.

We just got back from a week long trip where we rented a condo.  When we were at the condo (breakfast & dinner) he got homemade food but during the day we ate lunch out and sometimes at odd hours.  So it was simpler to just throw some jar food in the diaper bag.  Could I have done homemade?  Yep.  And I have in the past.  But for this trip it wasn't worth the hassle for me.

So again you need to do what feels right for you.

Cynthje
by on May. 25, 2009 at 9:25 AM

If your baby is used to home made foods there is a chance that he will refuse the jarred stuff. I bought some jarred baby food for Levi when we went camping and he refused to eat it.

owensmommy1122
by Member on May. 25, 2009 at 10:13 AM

Why do you need to boil frozen tubes of baby food? When I made my son's food (i put it in ice cube trays) I would just let it sit out for a little while and thaw out and give it to him cold. I would stick with the homemade baby food if you can. If that is what he is used to I would keep going with it. Oh and if he doesnt like banana's just don't give them to him for a while and try again later.

weelicious
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM
Have you tried avocados? They travel great and most babies love them. You could also bake sweet potatoes and keep them in a cooler.
www.weelicious.com
TonyaLea
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2009 at 2:02 AM

You know, I just thought, how are you keeping the food frozen?  Even in a cooler I think the baby food cubes will melt, so it will be more needing to warm the food up rather than thawing.  Like the PP said, avacado would be a good one to try (my daughter hates them, but lots of babies love it).  You could bring some other foods too and get a manual food mill (they have them at target for around $10 I think), and just make the baby food as you need it. 

But, about store bought, if you buy organic, and sometimes even if you don't, it is the exact same thing, just pure fruit/veggies and maybe water.  Just read the ingredients.  The only difference is that they are processed in a factory, and they are exposed to high heat which kills some of the nutrients.  I make my own baby food because it is cheaper and I can pick and choose local, in season, and (sometimes) organic produce.  I do not think, however, that a few days of store-bought jars will cause ANY harm.  Just don't feed him anything new that he hasn't tried yet.  Camping is not the place to be risking allergic reactions.  So if he has tried carrots, buy carrots, and you will be fine. 

m-n-msmamma
by on May. 26, 2009 at 9:59 AM

thanks ladies. i think most of it is some guilt, but i don't wanna go through the hassel of dealing with thawing out the frozen cubes.

mamastevens
by on May. 26, 2009 at 10:36 AM

like a couple of the last posters said.... it won't stay totally frozen anyways... depending on how long you're camping and of course the temperature.... even if it stays in a cooler chilled, not frozen, its fine... it lasts in a fridge for a few days so it won't spoil while you're camping.. unless you're there for weeks, which i doubt is what you're doing??!? like another poster said, he may deny the jarred food if he's never had it, so you might have to try it before you go... i have the food mill that you can grind and my son gets whatever we eat... any veggies and fruit go right in there and get mushed up and its an easy clean up plus no extras... same if we go to a restaurant... simple simple! then i don't have to worry about the jarred junk...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)