• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have to wonder--is it REALLY REALLY cheaper than buying jarred food??

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:17 AM
  • 20 Replies
  • 530 Total Views

Ladies with experience with this--is it REALLY cheaper?? I mean a two pack of baby food is like $1 and that's 4 meals in a two pack. So is buying a food processor, food steamer, all the stuff to freeze & store the food then the food itself CHEAPER than buying premade food?? I'm poorer than poor (lol) so I need to do whatever's gonna keep us from going broke from baby food. Just wondering if it REALLY is cheaper. Thanks!

preview image  
preview image

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cynthje
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I didnt have to buy anything other than containers to transport the food to daycare in so for me it was cheaper. You dont really need a fancy foodprocessor or steamer at all, a normal blender works just fine and you can bake most veggies and fruits. I always use regular ice cube trays for freezing and i put the cubes into ziploc bags.

Maybe its not really cheaper but it is healthier and the food tastes way better than the jarred stuff!

emily34
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Yes, it is cheaper and healthier, and you have contol on texture. I highly rec. it. Try getting the Super Baby Food book, that might help you out.

onecuteladybug2
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Making my own was WAY cheaper for me. I just used a blender or a fork on the baked, microwaved, or stove-stop steamed foods and added either cooking liquid or breastmilk to the food to thin it out if I needed to. I froze it in ice cube trays that I found at Wal-Mart 3/$1 and stored the food in zip top bags in the freezer. I was so frugal that I planned my cooking session around what I was about to run out of so that by the time I finished the last of a certain type of cube, the new batch would be ready to be placed into the empty bag which I just re-marked with the new date...

pinkfroggy
by New Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM

for me, personally, i think it is WAY cheaper and worth it.   i started out (and still use) a $16 food processor I bought at walmart.   I bake all of the food in the oven or lately since we are living in this Texas summer heat, I cook it in the crock pot so that it doesn't heat up the house and waste a/c.  lol.  by the time it's done cooking, it's so tender that i can just blend it up with a fork or a hand wisk.   now that she's almost 10 mths old, I cut it into small cubes and cook it in the crock pot (finger foods.)  

i already had 2 crock pots (one i bought YEARS ago) and one we got as a gift from DH's company.  so i just set both of those up and and let 'em go.  but you really can get just as much done (and more) with your oven b/c you have the two racks in the oven.  

oh,  with foods that i puree, i do the same as the PP and freeze them in the cheap walmart ice cube trays and then pop them in ziploc bags (which are also walmart or $1 store brand. lol.)  

think about this, i can buy a whole bundle of carrots for less than $1.  bake them in the oven and then blend them up.  i added a little applesauce when she was eating them pureed.  even now, at almost 10 months old and a VERy healthy appetite, that will last about 1 1/2 weeks.   so definitely will last a while with a baby.   if i had to buy carrots in a jar, she would be eating about 2 stage 3 jars of it a day!    that's b/c she eats two veggies, a meat, and a fruit at each meal (lunch and dinner.)  and she will also eat some for snacks.  so, if i had to buy JUST CARROTS for the week and a half, I'd be paying about 5times as much as making it myself. that's just how it would work out for me.

plus, you know what's really in it.for instance, if it's mixed veggies, you know exactly how much of each veggie is in there.  you don't know that with jars.  

EmmettsMommy526
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:20 PM

Yup, cheaper.  I would buy what foods were in season and lots of them, steam them (all you really need to steam is a steaming insert in a pot, not a fancy steamer), freeze them in ice cube trays, and then once frozen, pop them in ziplock bags.  I don't see why you need all that fancy stuff.  Way healthier too.

WifeyC
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:04 PM

I think it is cheaper and worth the time.  We already had a mini food processor and blender so I didn't have to buy anything.  I just bought a bag of carrots on sale for 99 cents.  That will feed him for several meals, especially since I sometimes mix it with other veggies. 

I love making his baby food.  The only thing I haven't gotten the "guts" to try is the meat!

onecuteladybug2
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Quoting WifeyC:

I think it is cheaper and worth the time.  We already had a mini food processor and blender so I didn't have to buy anything.  I just bought a bag of carrots on sale for 99 cents.  That will feed him for several meals, especially since I sometimes mix it with other veggies. 

I love making his baby food.  The only thing I haven't gotten the "guts" to try is the meat!

For my DS's first experience with meat, I just baked a chicken breast, then ground the meat in a mini-food processor that attached to my hand blender and added some apple sauce to help with the consistency. It actually tasted pretty darn good and DS gobbled it up!

TonyaLea
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:42 PM

It was cheaper for me because I already had a food processor.  The only thing I bought was the food, some really cheap ice cube trays, and ziplock freezer bags.  I also bought bowls and spoons, but you are going to need those anyway.  You don't even have to get a food processor, you can use a blender, or you can get a food mill for about $10. 

I try to buy my produce for less than $1 per pound.  That is $1 for 16 ounces (if you can use the entire fruit / veggie), whereas jarred food is $1 for 5 ounces (2-2.5 ounce containers).  That is less than a third of the price. 

tennisgal
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Well I didn't buy anything to start with. I used a blender b/c I thought it worked best, but you could borrow a blender/food processor/mill from someone. I also already had ice cube trays which is what I stored all the food in. The only thing I ever "used up" was the baggies that I froze the cubes in and the saran wrap I put over the trays while they were freezing. The very idea that baby food could last years on a shelf kind of weirded me out...so that led me to pursue homemade baby food. I didn't notice a large increase in our food bill and also storing it in 1 oz portions really reduced the amount of food wasted. If I ever opened a can of baby food and didn't use it all I would put it in the fridge and eventually just throw it away b/c I would forget the jar was in there.

RanaAurora
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:35 PM

If you don't price-check foods, you can spend more.  But generally, if you're price-conscious, yes, it's going to be cheaper.

If you're breastfeeding especially, WIC is coming out with new things this month though that could help you a lot, and fruit and veggie vouchers that could be used for making more baby food as well.

Luna Lovegoodhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/RanaAurora/spellingisGOOD.gif

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)