Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

7 months old! questions...

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:34 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 230 Total Views

so now that my daughter is 7 months old does this open up any new food ventures?  anything i can add to her diet?  also how many times per day should she be having solids (she is breast fed)?  and are juices needed?  or is this a myth because i have heard that all she needs to drink is breastmilk as well as you are supposed to start giving diluted juices at this time.  which is it?  as of right now she only has two baby food meals per day at one once servings each.  every other feeding is breast milk.  thanks for your help in advance :)  i would like to stay on the right track as far as keeping her healthy and having her get all the nutrition she needs.  thanks

mrscoxandfamily. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
TonyaLea
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Two meals are good, we didn't start three until 8 months. 

We have never given her juice either (ok, we did on two occasions for a special treat), and she will be a year next week.  I read that juice isn't needed, and a large number of doctors are reccommeding not following the old guidlines of starting juice so early, if ever.  The sugar content is too high, even when there is no surgar added, and most of the 'good stuff" has been removed. 

As for fun and exciting stuff, you can start to venture out.  At that age my daughter was eating plums, peaches, apples, pears, bananas, carrots, broccoli, summer and winter squashes.

ANGIE409
by on Jul. 11, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Two meals is good...you could also do three.  I think I started three between 7-8 mo. as part of a schedule.  It was wakeup, milk, breakfast, nap, wakeup, milk, lunch, nap, wakeup, milk, dinner, more milk, bed.  Once she's older (between 9-10 mo.) you'll want to start encouraging more solids and less milk (especially if you plan on switching to cows milk at a year), so I would suggest solids first thing, them milk later (so she doesn't fill up on the milk). 

Have you started finger foods at all?  Good beginning foods are Baby Mum Mums (rice rusks), soft banana and avocado.  Once she's mastered those, move on to steamed fruits and veggies, cheerios, etc.  A good rule of thumb is that if you can smash the food between your tongue and the roof of your mouth, then baby can gum it without teeth.  =)  Start with small chunks...to prevent choking and work your way up very gradually.  *Make sure (as baby gets older) that you cut anything that is round in half...grapes, blueberries, hot dogs are all major choking hazards if they aren't cut up. 

As for other foods, you'll want to start allowing some texture in the purees...a little at first and then more and more as baby gets older.  Here's a list of foods...if you haven't started them, go for it: Apple, Banana, Avocado, Mango, Pear, Nectarine, Plum, Cantelope, Melon, Berries (careful - blueberries can turn poo almost black...it can be scary if you don't know its coming) Sweet Potato, Carrot, Green Bean, Peas, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Eggplant, Squash.  If you haven't started meats, you could always puree some chicken, turkey or tofu.  *I didn't do meats until baby was almost exclusively on finger foods (9 mo.) so there's no hurry. 

mamastevens
by on Jul. 11, 2009 at 2:59 PM

My son is just about 7 months too... We just started adding chicken to a few of his meals. He wasn't so sure at first but when we mixed it with other purees that he loves then he got the hang of it... I think mostly because of the difference in textures... Juice we are skipping all together... We give him water during meals, and whenever he wants to try and grab ours... : ) So he drinks a few sips from his own cup, and from ours but no juices and I think he won't get that simply because it isn't necessary... I try and hid a multi-vitamin in some of his meals too since he isn't getting any extra iron from cereal since he wasn't a big fan of that... Our doctor said, on Monday, that he seems to be very healthy from what we are doing so far... I asked him about the juice thing and he said not to even worry about giving him that cuz it is a big thing with kids getting too much sugar which just leads to teeth issues... The only thing he said to be aware of was salt intake... We have no food allergies so we are just letting our son lead us into new things.. He's had blueberries, avocados, potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, banana, chicken, peas, green beans, mango, apples, pears, carrots, and rice cereal twice - oatmeal twice... graham crackers and cheerios... everything very mushy and smooth and we've had great success... i just keep working on different thicknesses... is this where you're at?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)