• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi ladies, I'm a new member

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:36 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 391 Total Views

Hi Ladies!

My name is Melissa and I have RA and I am 27. I first noticed symptoms around the age of 16. I went to the Dr. MANY times complaining of chronic fatigue and arthritis. I was given meds to help the pain which did not work and xrays which showed inflammation to my fingers & knee(my problem areas). They never diagnosed me after many appointments and I just began to believe it was all in my head.

Fast forward to 11yrs later and coping with the chronic pain, I was finally diagnosed after I begged a new Dr to listen to me. Right now I am having a bad flare up and in pain, but cannot take any meds bc we are TTC after we lost our son at 5 months gestation. I have spent all these years hiding the pain from my husband and family, they have all thought I was hypochondriac.

I want to be able to run and do normal things again. I am so frustrated with my achy body and arthritic fingers & knee. I am sure all you ladies can relate.

Thanks for listening.

Angels_and_Faeries BlinkiesFree Smileys Free Avatars Parenting Free Icons Free Smileys Free Avatars ISO 9001 Training

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CatDogLady
by Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:45 AM

Welcome to the group Melissa. I am Debbie from PA. I have rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. I understand what you are going through. It is frustrating not being able to do  the things we were able to. Hopefully the doctor will be able to get  you under control, once you are able to start some medication. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Debbie

momofone221
by Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Thank you for your kind words Debbie. It looks like we are neighbors, I am in NY :)

Have you been put on a special diet for your RA? I was told to start a gluten free diet ASAP and to take out all nightshade veggies. I am still looking all this up before hubby & I grocery shop. I am willing to do whatever I can to stop the pain and function normally for a 27yr old.

Quoting CatDogLady:

Welcome to the group Melissa. I am Debbie from PA. I have rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis and osteoporosis. I understand what you are going through. It is frustrating not being able to do  the things we were able to. Hopefully the doctor will be able to get  you under control, once you are able to start some medication. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Debbie

Angels_and_Faeries BlinkiesFree Smileys Free Avatars Parenting Free Icons Free Smileys Free Avatars ISO 9001 Training

KellyOh72
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I believe one of the drugs that is safe while trying to concieve is prednisone. I would ask you ob/gyn. I know there is something you can take to help you and not hurt your chances of becoming pregnant.

I am Kelly btw. Diagnosed at age 8 and currently on Humira.

sillymoo
by Group Owner on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Welcome to the group!

I was also labeled a hypochondriac ever since I can remember. I never ever felt well. I wasn't even taken seriously even after I was diagnosed. One day I literally had to drag my ass into their office without hair and makeup done, and the buttons on my pants and shoelaces undone because I just couldn't do it anymore. Finally, I got a referral to see a rheumy.

I have heard about avoiding the nightshade family. Tomatoes do seem to make me ache if I have a lot of them (love that spaghetti), but what makes me really sore is engery drinks, diet soda, and alcohol. What really helps me is green tea (tons and tons of green tea) and light exercise. You might want to have your Vitamin D levels checked because many people with RA also have extremely low Vit D.

Good luck to you.

momofone221
by Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Hi Kelly, nice to meet you. Wow, you were diagnosed so young, I can't imagine. How are you feeling?

I did come across this drug in my research today and will bring it up to my Rheumatologist. I also read that having RA can make you less fertile and possibly cause some pg complications? Any truth to this?

Quoting KellyOh72:

I believe one of the drugs that is safe while trying to concieve is prednisone. I would ask you ob/gyn. I know there is something you can take to help you and not hurt your chances of becoming pregnant.

I am Kelly btw. Diagnosed at age 8 and currently on Humira.

momofone221
by Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Your story sounds all too familiar. I can completely relate to everything you have said and "just not being able to do it anymore", that is the point I am at now. I'm glad I finally got an answer though, I am desperately looking forward to this flare ending and feeling 'normal' again. Thank you for your advice on the vit D, I will be sure to bring that up. I don't know a whole lot about RA, so I'm doing research daily.

Quoting sillymoo:

Welcome to the group!

I was also labeled a hypochondriac ever since I can remember. I never ever felt well. I wasn't even taken seriously even after I was diagnosed. One day I literally had to drag my ass into their office without hair and makeup done, and the buttons on my pants and shoelaces undone because I just couldn't do it anymore. Finally, I got a referral to see a rheumy.

I have heard about avoiding the nightshade family. Tomatoes do seem to make me ache if I have a lot of them (love that spaghetti), but what makes me really sore is engery drinks, diet soda, and alcohol. What really helps me is green tea (tons and tons of green tea) and light exercise. You might want to have your Vitamin D levels checked because many people with RA also have extremely low Vit D.

Good luck to you.

dr_m
by Member on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Quoting momofone221:

Your story sounds all too familiar. I can completely relate to everything you have said and "just not being able to do it anymore", that is the point I am at now. I'm glad I finally got an answer though, I am desperately looking forward to this flare ending and feeling 'normal' again. Thank you for your advice on the vit D, I will be sure to bring that up. I don't know a whole lot about RA, so I'm doing research daily.

Quoting sillymoo:

Welcome to the group!

Good luck to you.

Thanks for posting !

I am new also.   re: Vit D and also calcium...  has anyone heard or felt that dairy products might make the joint pain worse ?  I had heard this years ago, like cheese, and I think a lot of cheese can make it worse for me, but not really sure if I am imagining it..  hypochondriac, heh ?  (lol)... I do think SUNSHINE if you can get it will help with the Vit D. And when I look stuff up, I will gladly share it with everyone ...  

never heard about the diets but I think I better look into it..  was thinking of asking the doc, but forgot..  only went to the rheum twice so far anyway...

Thanks for the info on the tomatoes, I eat a lot of tomato sauce.. shucks..   but will back off on this definitely.  thanks so much.

Yes, I did used to work as an MD, but not for the past ten years, so I am out dated, but would love to keep up better with the reading.   

Also have new diagnosis of psoriasis, so doc said first no it's rheumatoid, then said no it's psoriatic, so either way, he feels it's autoimmune, and related to that my Dad had Crohn's.

marilyn

Group Owner,  Care Packages Unlimited

yellow ribbon

Dustyman
by Member on Aug. 11, 2010 at 9:04 AM

I took Prednisone the whole time I was pregnant.  Only thing that saved me.  I have actually been on it for 13 yrs. It's the only medicine that has always worked for me and keeps the inflammation down.  You should take plenty of calcium with it and after taking it for a while,  you have to be weaned off of it.   I try to take no more than 10 mg a day but on flare ups, sometimes I have to get up to 20mg and go back down when it gets better.  I wouldn't go over 20mg ever (makes me very moody, almost angry).  Under that I have no problems.  I'm just telling you all this because some Dr.'s will put you on 60mg or something and everyone I have known that to happen to has not been able to handle it!

momofone221
by Member on Aug. 11, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Quoting dr_m:

Quoting momofone221:

Quoting sillymoo:

Welcome to the group!

Good luck to you.

Thanks for posting !

I am new also.   re: Vit D and also calcium...  has anyone heard or felt that dairy products might make the joint pain worse ?  I had heard this years ago, like cheese, and I think a lot of cheese can make it worse for me, but not really sure if I am imagining it..  hypochondriac, heh ?  (lol)... I do think SUNSHINE if you can get it will help with the Vit D. And when I look stuff up, I will gladly share it with everyone ...  

never heard about the diets but I think I better look into it..  was thinking of asking the doc, but forgot..  only went to the rheum twice so far anyway...

Thanks for the info on the tomatoes, I eat a lot of tomato sauce.. shucks..   but will back off on this definitely.  thanks so much.

Yes, I did used to work as an MD, but not for the past ten years, so I am out dated, but would love to keep up better with the reading.   

Also have new diagnosis of psoriasis, so doc said first no it's rheumatoid, then said no it's psoriatic, so either way, he feels it's autoimmune, and related to that my Dad had Crohn's.

I have not noticed that cheese makes it worse, hmm.I can't give up my cheese :p  I just started the gluten-free diet and let me tell ya, this sucks! Anything containing wheat is a problem and there is wheat hiding where you would not expect it to and besides all the good stuff has wheat!

Right now I'm in a bad flare up, so I'm hoping to see improvement within the next week or so. There is quite a bit of info if you google "gluten free diet and RA".

Am I the only one who was put on this diet for RA?

sillymoo
by Group Owner on Aug. 11, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Quoting momofone221:

Quoting dr_m:

Thanks for posting !

I have not noticed that cheese makes it worse, hmm.I can't give up my cheese :p  I just started the gluten-free diet and let me tell ya, this sucks! Anything containing wheat is a problem and there is wheat hiding where you would not expect it to and besides all the good stuff has wheat!

Right now I'm in a bad flare up, so I'm hoping to see improvement within the next week or so. There is quite a bit of info if you google "gluten free diet and RA".

Am I the only one who was put on this diet for RA?

I kind of think the Vit D thing has more to do with RA than just sunshine. I have a wicked farmer's tan from being outdoors so much and purposely sitting in front of a sunny window while I eat. I am still extremely low (just had a test done two weeks ago) and I have been like this for a while now. I haven't heard of dairy causing a flare up, but I really don't eat a lot of it. I eat cheese and occasionally have ice cream or yogurt, but I cannot drink milk. I just can't stand the smell of it.

I haven't been put on any kind of diet. I have been trying to discuss it with my doctor and he really hasn't helped me. He normally takes the time to discuss anything, so I think he either doesn't know anything about it or just doesn't believe that food has anything to do with it. I have been kind of trying things on my own.

The Autoimmune Epidemic by Donna Jackson Nakazawa might be of interest. It discusses food as a cause and a cure, among other things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)