Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about Meds and Pain

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:38 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 305 Total Views

I was diagnose a year ago in July with RA and have been trying to find the right medication. So far my rheumy prescribed Arava and Paquil, after trying Methrotrexate (pill and injections) which made me sick from my stomach. Anyways I have been on these meds for about 7 months and they have been doing okay. My question is how do you know your meds are no longer work for you? I have been hurting in areas that never hurt before. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. i meet with my rhuemy next month.

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
sillymoo
by Group Owner on Aug. 25, 2010 at 12:48 PM

I ask to change meds whenever I feel side effects that I cannot put up with, or the disease seems to be getting worse. I would call your doctor and ask him if he thinks you should change since it seems like it is affecting more joints.

CatDogLady
by Member on Aug. 26, 2010 at 8:20 PM

I have been on methotrexate which caused lung scarring, imuran which caused elevated liver enzymes, asulfasolazine, and minocycline. Right now I am on Arava and prednisone, I usually have bad flare ups where my fingers, hands, wrists and elbows and shoulders become swollen, red, warm to touch and very painful. My rheumatologist is planning on starting me on injectable humira every other week if insurance will pay for it.

Debbie

katy911
by Member on Aug. 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I tried Plaquenil in the past.  It really didn't do anything for me.  I have been on methotrexate for over a year.  It started off good, but doesn't seem to work as well now.  I just had an appointment with my Rheumy on Wednesday and after I get back from vacation next month, he is going to start me on Humira.  Like the PP, it has to be approved by my insurance company first.

ETA:  The reason that I didn't feel the metho was working as well now was because the RA progressed into my hips and shoulders (neither of which were affected before).  I have also been having a problem with swelling in my hands and fingers to the point that I can't even wear my wedding ring.  :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)