Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New meds

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 225 Total Views

I am currently on methotrexate.  I take 10 2.5mg pills weekly.  My rheumatologist wants to change me to humira or enbril.  She is concerned with the amount of swelling I still have in my wrist and knees.  I feel pretty good with the methotrexate, aside from the nausea that I have from it for two days after it take my dose.  I'm a little uneasy about giving myself a shot too.  I'd really like to hear from some of you that have/are on either of those medications.  Did it work well for you?  What were the side effects you experienced?  Thanks!

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
sillymoo
by Group Owner on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:06 PM

I have been taking Humira and Enbrel for several years. I like that I only had to take Humira once a month, and no other meds. I switched to Enbrel because I started having headaches. I have to switch to Humira this month due to my health insurance, so we will see if the headaches come back. I'm not sure Humira caused them. I like that you can warm up Enbrel to room temp before you take it, but I need to take it twice a month (sometimes more). It is a pain to keep both meds cold if you like to travel. And twice my refrigerator broke (two different fridges) and ruined my meds. It so happens that it was once with Humira and once with Enbrel. Both companies sent replacements free of charge.

I know the idea of sticking yourself is creepy, but it really isn't that bad. It really hurt the first time, but I am sure it was because I was so nervous. It only took a few months to get used to it, and the needle is tiny. I barely feel it unless I hit a stretch mark and it really doesn't hurt most of the time. What does hurt (and it really isn't that bad) is the fluid in the syringe. It is cold, so warm it in your hand for a minute first. It helps.

I know there are many posts about Humira and Enbrel, so do a search to see what other members have said about them.

smfox
by Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 7:57 PM
Thank you. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dr_m
by Member on Sep. 19, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Taking both HUmira (was not doing a lot alone) and recently few mos, methotrexate, and the combo has been the first thing that has started to help. humira every two weeks, mtx was up to 20 mg once a week.  Have to start injection of mtx, supposed to be less side effects, but hate sticking my self twice, (two injectable meds.,.  help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)