Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Wine while on Methotrexate.

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:30 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 705 Total Views

Am I the only one bummed by this?  I live in Northern California near wine country and this has really been depressing for me.  I cannot imagine a lifetime of methotrexate and never another glass of wine.  I know it is a small price to pay to avoid disability but it is something I really enjoyed.

Anyone ever get to come off the metho after being on injections for awhile?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
sillymoo
by Group Owner on Jan. 27, 2009 at 8:33 PM

I had no idea you can't drink wine while on it. I was considering it last year and my doctor never said anything about it. I'm glad I didn't find out the hard way. Do you happen to know why you can't drink wine while on "the meth"?

HisJune
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:53 PM

No alcohol at all while on methotrexate.  It can cause cirrhosis of the liver.

BradyBunch6
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 7:25 AM

I've been on methotrexate for 10 years, and I have always drank alcohol "socially."  I'm not trying to replace your doctor's advice in any way... but it's just a personal decision that I made.  I don't drink often at all, but if we go out to a mexican restaurant, I'm going to have a margarita! LOL!  My rheumatologist was made aware of this right from the beginning... and he wasn't very concerned.  He did say that we'd keep a close eye on my liver levels (or kidney, or both, I can't remember).  But my bloodwork has always been normal.  I don't think a glass of wine once in a while will cause cerosis (sp?) of the liver.  And if you're getting regular bloodwork done (which I'm sure you are if you're on meth)... if they happen to be slightly elevated one time, then cut out the occasional alcohol.  But until then, I'm going to have my occasional margarita! ;-)

Best wishes,

Suzi

tess041
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 6:44 PM

I agree with Suzi.  Although, I was on methotrexate for about 5 years now i'm going back on Enbrel (per new rheumatologists).  After being diagnosed with RA (big hit), I was so upset - I was already having problems (getting out of bed - still working full time (well trying to keep up with everyone else) with severe fatigue).  Of course, the doctors wanted me to slow my caffeine intake but at the same time, giving me an extreme number of medications - this was difficult for me because I never really have to take any medications except for tylenol to relieve mild headaches.  I just couldn't give caffeine up totally (I did cut back  but I still wanted my morning coffee and occasional ice tea and the occasional glass of wine/drink).  With all of the meds going through my liver and kidneys, I can't imagine what damage the meds are causing.  I have never taken illegal drugs or smoked and so to give up my morning coffee / ice tea and occasional wine/drink was asking too much of me - the doctors agreed with the exception of regular blood work.  The doctor's understood the RA (and other medical problems) was very overwhelming.  Hope this helps.  Teresa

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)