Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell us your story

Posted by on May. 7, 2007 at 5:18 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 464 Total Views

I gave birth to my daughter on September 21 2006 at home. People think i am crazy for having her at home. It was wonderful, i had two midwives who took care of everything. I labored in my bedroom and was completely comfortable. It was stress free and a wonderful experience. I was able to take a shower in my own shower and sleep in my own bed that same night. Friends and family were able to visit at anytime and i didn't have to be away from her at all. I think if you are healthy and have a great midwife you should try having your baby at home.

So what's your story?

by on May. 7, 2007 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
happymommy906
by New Member on May. 7, 2007 at 11:17 PM
I have one baby. and i have given birth in a hospital. I am heathy, no problems, with me or the baby. I had 6hr labor, and 2 pushes she was out. But in those 6hr i went true as close to hell as you can get. and it is not the labor pains. first the MD decided that i needed internal monitor for some reason, he stuck BOTH of his hands inside of me talking about PAIN.I thought i would go insane. I was not even 3cm dilated. Then they tried 3TIMES to do an epidural on me, all failed. Then i had ripped a little, so they had to stitch me up. I felt every stitch. And them they had the nerve to tell me. That i should not feel anything while they  were  stitching me up because of the endorphins after birth. An IV was stated with Magnesium prior the labor. I could not even bend my wrist it hurt soo bad. and this is only the tip of the iceberg  I WILL NEVER DELIVER AT THE HOSPITAL AGAIN.  
thank you for starting this site. may be i will get some ideas. i would like to give birth at home with our 2nd baby.
threewishes
by on May. 11, 2007 at 6:32 PM
Thanks for inviting me over 1foxylady! I hope to see this group grow!

Actually I didn't mention it in my post at the other group, as it's not the norm, but I'm a UC'er. That is an unassisted child birth person. Basicly, no midwife, just the mother and father of the baby.

All three of my pregnancies went really well. The normal two months of morning sickness and the of course, absolute uncomfort with the last two months.

Anyway, I'll run a short verson for each birth;

With my son, I lived in a fairly small apartment. I knew labor was impending, as I just felt the tightening pre-contractions. However they worsened and worsened as the day went on. I didn't sleep that night. The next day, it continued, but the contractions were closer together. But by the evening of the second day, I was a bit worried. I had to breath through the contractions at this point, and nothing seemed to be driving this labor into action. I started searching the internet the next morning, after night two with no sleep. I found a website called 'spinning babies.com' I think. Anyway I did the excersizes of sitting backwards in the chair and leaning forward. This is suppose to get the baby in the correct position. Not 45 mintutes after I started this, my water broke and I went into active overdrive labor. About an hour later my son Colin (now 3 years old) was born. My now ex- came into the room when he heard the screaming.

My first daughter Gwen was born a year and a half later. I gave birth to her in the house I have now. She is 26 months old now. I started doing the same excersizes to get her into position at 8 months. Once nine months hit....nothing. Finally after 42 weeks along, my contractions started at 2am. I hadn't gone to bed because I had that familer feeling that something may start. My DH drew a bath and lit some candles. While I was bathing I suddenly felt the need to get out of the bathtub and into the bedroom. I was afraid the water might be too hot to give birth in. So carefully and slowly I made my way to the bed, stopping for contractions and knelling to the floor. It took about two good hours of contractions, but finally, doing nothing on my part, my body contracted hard and she came out in the water bag!

The second daugher Evelyn (11 months old now)was almost the same repeat of the above story, except I would say she was the least painful in active labor. She came two weeks 'early.'  It was like one large contraction for 30 minutes instead of hours of contractions with small breaks in between. This birth shattered my previous assumption that you don't ever have to push. My water had not broken yet, and I noticed that I was fully dialated. So I pushed a bit and could feel her head come down, and go back up after I stopped pushing. So I gave a large gustful push and her water broke as she came sliding on out. She was sleeping when she came to the world. The other two were awake and crying. I let her sleep for a good ten minutes before cleaning her off.

Anyway, every birth really IS different.

Thanks again for the invite! And if you actually read through all of these births, I thank you! :)

~April
SFmom2
by New Member on May. 12, 2007 at 2:08 AM
I had both of my sons at home with the same midwife. I loved it. I promise to share more later. Right now I need to do the homework that I am avoiding.
1foxylady
by Group Owner on May. 12, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Quoting threewishes:

Thanks for inviting me over 1foxylady! I hope to see this group grow!

Actually I didn't mention it in my post at the other group, as it's not the norm, but I'm a UC'er. That is an unassisted child birth person. Basicly, no midwife, just the mother and father of the baby.

All three of my pregnancies went really well. The normal two months of morning sickness and the of course, absolute uncomfort with the last two months.

Anyway, I'll run a short verson for each birth;

With my son, I lived in a fairly small apartment. I knew labor was impending, as I just felt the tightening pre-contractions. However they worsened and worsened as the day went on. I didn't sleep that night. The next day, it continued, but the contractions were closer together. But by the evening of the second day, I was a bit worried. I had to breath through the contractions at this point, and nothing seemed to be driving this labor into action. I started searching the internet the next morning, after night two with no sleep. I found a website called 'spinning babies.com' I think. Anyway I did the excersizes of sitting backwards in the chair and leaning forward. This is suppose to get the baby in the correct position. Not 45 mintutes after I started this, my water broke and I went into active overdrive labor. About an hour later my son Colin (now 3 years old) was born. My now ex- came into the room when he heard the screaming.

My first daughter Gwen was born a year and a half later. I gave birth to her in the house I have now. She is 26 months old now. I started doing the same excersizes to get her into position at 8 months. Once nine months hit....nothing. Finally after 42 weeks along, my contractions started at 2am. I hadn't gone to bed because I had that familer feeling that something may start. My DH drew a bath and lit some candles. While I was bathing I suddenly felt the need to get out of the bathtub and into the bedroom. I was afraid the water might be too hot to give birth in. So carefully and slowly I made my way to the bed, stopping for contractions and knelling to the floor. It took about two good hours of contractions, but finally, doing nothing on my part, my body contracted hard and she came out in the water bag!

The second daugher Evelyn (11 months old now)was almost the same repeat of the above story, except I would say she was the least painful in active labor. She came two weeks 'early.'  It was like one large contraction for 30 minutes instead of hours of contractions with small breaks in between. This birth shattered my previous assumption that you don't ever have to push. My water had not broken yet, and I noticed that I was fully dialated. So I pushed a bit and could feel her head come down, and go back up after I stopped pushing. So I gave a large gustful push and her water broke as she came sliding on out. She was sleeping when she came to the world. The other two were awake and crying. I let her sleep for a good ten minutes before cleaning her off.

Anyway, every birth really IS different.

Thanks again for the invite! And if you actually read through all of these births, I thank you! :)

~April

I did read all about all three births. That amzing that you did that mostly by your self. If it wasn't for my midwife i don't know what i would have done. I was a mess.hehe!
Saffron1992
by New Member on Nov. 8, 2007 at 2:20 PM
WOW unassisted child birth, your such a brave woman.

As I may have mentioned in other posts I arrived in the US at 6 months pregnant.  In the UK you are always cared for by Midwives but have the option to deliver in hospital or at home.  With my first I had an epidural and feotal monitor it was awful!!! 

We didn't have insurance so I looked into midwifery and found a fantastic midwife.  Before I had signed up she gave me books to take away and read.  We decided we would give it a go even though it had been 15 years since my last baby.  After reading all the books and about the effects of pain meds and the conveyor belt at hospital we were sure we wanted a home birth.  My mother and mother in law came over from the UK for the birth.  We were having a BBQ and my waters broke, when the contractions started I got in the birth pool in my bedroom where i talked to my older daughter and listened to music.  I was almost 10cm dilated when my husband called the Midwife.  I felt the need to give birth out of the pool and Isla was born after only 4 hours of labour.  No stitches or tares. 

My family came up straight away and my Mum later cut the cord as I was talking on the phone to my family back in England.  Isla was wide awake and stress free, she rarely cries and is so calm and i believe the way she came into the world helped but then ask me that again in 2 years when the terrible 2s arrive lol!
AlexiMartin1984
by on Jan. 6, 2008 at 2:05 AM
i was 15, my parents had left me and i had moved in with my best friend and her family, it was december 31st 1999 when i went into labor but the streets were busy so we figured we could handle it so jules opened up the birth book and we got ready, Lazarus was born after only 3 hours of labor at Midnight on January 1st 2000 so he's my new years baby!!!

i went to the hospital for Katrina because of complications, and Madison was early so i went to the hospital with her too, but hopefully Jules will be able to assist me (she home birth unassisted with her daughter, and is a midwife now) this time with the twins
Me, Alexis Nicole Martin born February 13, 1984, My Fiancee, Jacob Ezra Anderson born March 17, 1983, I Become Mrs. Alexis Nicole Anderson on February 14, 2009, My Oldest Son, Lazarus James Anderson born January 1, 2000, My Oldest Daughter, Katrina Marie Anderson, born February 14, 2003, The Youngest Girl, Madison Louise Anderson, Born October 21, 2007, The twins are Due August 8, 2008, Jacob adopted Lazarus and Katrina on December 26, 2007, my step-son Xander lives with us Full time now as of December 28th 2007
snowpeasmom
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2008 at 3:05 PM
I had a homebirth with my son. The only people there was my mom and a mid-wife and her assistant. On my due date June 14, at 9 pm I was having contractions every hour or so, so I thought they were BH contractions, by 5 pm the next day the contractions had got to 4 mintues apart I called my midwife and my mom. My mom came but the mid-wife thought i would have lots more laboring to do so she said to call her if my water broke or anything major changed. I had my bed set up for the birth but hadn't gotten out the supplies that my mid wife gave me yet so we got out the supplies and I asked my mom to wash the bath tub again even though we washed it two days ago. At about 7 ish I told my mom I constantly feel like I have to pee so she said why dont we labor on the toliet. we saw that on some of the videos, I had two contractions there and then with the next contraction I cried I want to push...my mom was suprise that I felt that way already, so she said we don't want your son to have that kind of water birth lets get you back to the bed...I'll put a chuck pad under you. I got into bed and hated being on my back so I get on all fours. my mom calls the mid-wife. All the while I am begging her to let me push she said ok. I start pushing at some time the mid-wife showed up and said I was good to go. I had him at 9:38 pm. It was so great. I held him as long as I wanted to and he slept with me his first night. He was 9 pounds 20 1/2 inches and his head was 16 inches.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)