Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you get your child to be ready to start each day?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 9:44 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 804 Total Views

My DD Wakes up between 6 and 7 everyday so I expect her to be ready to start by 9 when the baby takes his morning nap. I have 4 younger children here everyday so it's important that we do work when I can give her the most attention (ie when one or all are sleeping).

It is getting harder and harder to have her get ready on time. Yesterday and the day before when I started yelling she finally was ready around 9:30... When it was time for me to get the baby up etc... So today I gave her a 40 min warning, then another 15 min beforre 9, and another at 5 min till. Still not ready. So I took away 1 toy for every min. late she was. I have in my possesion 20 toys. How do I let her earn them back? I don't know yet.

Do you have this problem? How do you handle it?

butterfly on head
Forgiveness is setting the prisoner free and then realizing the prisoner was you. 

by on Oct. 21, 2009 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jenl123
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 21, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Yes, I have this problem with some of mine.  You could let her earn them back by giving her one toy per minute early she is ready...  What I've started doing is if they are not ready in time, they come to school as is (pj's, chores not done, etc) and then they finish getting ready after school during their playtime.  This seems to be helping a bit.    :)

Check out my group Homeschooling Classically!

PaperBackSwap.com - Book Club to Swap, Trade & Exchange Books for Free.

Austinsmom35
by Welcome Squad on Oct. 21, 2009 at 10:30 AM

My DS verbally protests when I say it's time to sit down.  But I list the fun things we have planned once we get the work out of the way.  Some days are harder than others, but if I tell him we won't have time to do this or that if he doesn't get busy he usually goes to work! 

Eko
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I use a sticker chart. Each behavior I want and dont want is listed, if he makes the right choice he gets a sticker in each line. When he fills the chart at the end of the week he gets a reward... go to McDs playland, get ice cream ect good luck!

MarshaHubler
by HS Evaluator on Apr. 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Your child is yawning when you're giving her "warnings." She knows you don't mean business until you get angry. You're training her to ignore you. You need to warn her one time and if she doesn't obey, discipline her right at that moment. She needs to learn that when you speak, you mean what you say. That's not being mean; that's good loving discipline that will train her to obey God and her superiors when she gets older. Is her boss going to keep giving her warnings? I think not.

momtoBrenna
by Helping Hands on Apr. 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM
We don't have a set schedule so this isn't much of a problem. We school when we are both up and functioning.
wendythewriter
by Helping Hands on Apr. 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM

My kids know what time we start, and they know we are starting, ready or not. If that means they sit there in their undies doing school, then they sit there in their undies doing school.

I've also recently instituted a fake money system where they earn money for doing things. I'm pretty broke, so I have play money they earn for doing chores, or if they behave exceptionally well, or have a particularly spectacular day in school, or whatever. They then get to spend that money on little toys I have in a treasure box or to buy, say, staying up late on a Friday night or time on the Wii. The catch is...if they misbehave, don't do what they should, etc., they end up owing me money. So they don't talk back much or misbehave because they want to save their money to buy stuff from me rather than just give it to me. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN