Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Help or Suggestion

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 645 Total Views

I am homeschooling 2 kids. One is doing 5th grade and the other is doing 4th grade. I am able to get my 5th grader to stay on task and get atlease 3 to 5 subjects done a day. Problem is my 4th grader will do 1 or 2 subjects a day, do to her getting off task, having melt downs or out right refusing to do any thing.

Yesterday we did one subject for 8 hours and that is all she got done. Today she has done 1 subject and going extra slow on a second subject.

I give two, 10 min. breaks in the morning. An hour for lunch and two 10 min. breaks in the afternoon. We start school roughly around 8:30am most days and I try to end school around the time the public schools around here let out due to the fact we live close to a park so it gets very distracting.

I have been leaving music and art for Fridays but due to the fact were playing catch up we haven't gotten to do any of that.

My DH has suggested we go till its all done but I don't want her to burn out.

We are using the K12/CAVA and our rough completetion date stands at Aug. 16th, 2010 if we don't catch up. By Aug. we will be traveling a lot between our current home and our new home and I really don't want to be teaching durning that time.

Any help or suggestions please.

Jenn

We don't have TV in the house so that isn't a distraction. Also she has lost all rights to her handheld games.

by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
jen2150
by Helping Hands on Oct. 31, 2009 at 1:23 PM

It sounds like overload to me.  Most homeschoolers don't spend that much time doing school work.  8 hours per day is way too much in my opinion.  I would give longer breaks.  Say even an hour and take her outside and get some exercise and you may feel that she is better able to accomplish her work being more refreshed.  Try different teaching methods.  She may like more hands on schooling.  The great thing about homeschooling is not being  boggled down to any one thing.  Make learning more fun and an adventure and she may respond better.  Try rewards for putting all her effort into her task.  I would suggest doing less maybe all year with a light schedule in the summer.  I found a year round school schedule is much less stressful.  In school our recess was way more than 10 minutes.  Schedule and set task are good for kids but too much can actually hinder a lot of kids accomplishments during the day.  Talk to her and try to find out what is hindering her.  Listen to what she has to say and ask her how you can help her to accomplish her work better.  Most homeschoolers go all or morning or all afternoon.  We aren't morning people so we start at 11 am and do our school work for a couple of hours and then have  an hour or two afternoon session.  In between we do educational videos and puzzles and some hands on activities.  It sounds like your daughter may need more free time in order to be more refreshed when she does her school work.  Ultimately what you do is up to you but I would listen to her and try to come up with something that will work and be flexible.  does she have any activities outside the home.  Our children have a dance class, an art class, and some park days we go to for extra activities.  I would above all try to make homeschooling a fun and educational exerience for both of you.  I hope this helps.  Good luck and things improve soon for you and your daughter.

momo8child
by Helping Hands on Mar. 10, 2010 at 11:57 PM

I think you are spending way, way too much time on homeschooling each day.  It seems that you are trying to do public school at home.  I'd say, get off that public school program and do some real homeschooling.  Make living next to a park a positive thing to help you and your girls.  Use it for outdoor classes, studying insects, physical education, and lots of play time.  Your kids will hate school if you keep up what you are doing.  You are expecting way to much from them, especially when you punish them for not doing the impossible.  You can do private/traditional homeschooling and have a lot of fun with it.  Suggestions for materials, classes, books:  Annie's Book of Ettiquette and Manners, from How Great Thou Art; Learning Language Arts Through Literature; A Reason for Handwriting; On Eagle's Wings Science workbook; Apologia Science Exploring Creation series (for studying all those insects, has lots of hands-on projects and activities); Math-U-See; Alpha Omega Switched-On-Schoolhouse, for a few computer classes.  Find these and more on the following websites or google search the names: www.rainbowresource.com; www.apologia.com; www.mathusee.com; www.aop.com; www.christianbook.com; www.mfwbooks.com; www.bfbooks.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)