Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All Natural Remedies

Posted by   + Show Post

With all the fuss over things like the swine flu I was thinking about how rarely I let my children take medicine of any kind. I can't think of giving my 5 y/o cough medicine - the same stuff teenagers use to get high!

I AM NOT A DOCTOR! I do suggest getting accurate diagnosis from a medical professional, I supplement with natural treatments but for chronic illnesses I don't experiment without discussing with an actual physicial (and I suggest you do as well).

So here's a list of some of the natural remedies I use..feel free to share some of your own!!

Shannon

by on Nov. 3, 2009 at 10:05 AM
Replies (31-32):
KickButtMama
by G.O. Shannon on Feb. 22, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Quoting Hazelaid_mama:

We also use grapefruit seed extract as a wonderful natural anti-bacterial for all kinds of things (there are at least 20 ideas for use printed on the bottle we use from dandruff to pesticide cleaner). Look forward to reading more natural remedies! Thanks!

HERE ARE SOME GREAT GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT USES:

Grapefruit Seed Extract is a product my family has been using for about 20 years now.  I wouldn't be without it in my home because it is so versatile and easy to use, and has been a real blessing to my family's overall health and well-being.

Here are some of the things GSE is helpful for:

Skin fungi or bacterial diseases of the skin: Mix 30 to 50 drops of GSE liquid extract in a quart of water, and spray on the infected area at least 2 times a day.

This same dilution can be used as a general antiseptic for cages, stalls, or any other contact areas where a commercial antiseptic or disinfectant would be applied.  There is no need to rinse or try to remove any residue left by GSE.  It can also be mixed into virtually any topical preparation,
like shampoo, flea-dip, cat litter, bedding, etc.

You can make your own organic Kitchen & Bath Spray by adding one or two drops per ounce of distilled water. 

It makes a wonderful rinse for fruits and vegetables as well, or for a more thorough treatment, soak them for fifteen minutes and then rinse thoroughly under cold water.

Adding GSE to your carpet or floor cleaning machine will help to remove odors caused by bacteria left from pet, food , mold or mildew.  It is reported that ten to fifteen drops per gallon in the reservoir is effective in killing staph, strep, aspergillus, salmonella and many other pathogenic organisms that are present in some carpets.

Gargling with GSE and water will most times handle even the most resistant Strep germs.  Naturopathic doctors recommend gargling with two or three drops in five ounces of water three or four times daily, you can't do it too often.

Grapefruit seed extract can be used to clean fungus and mildew off of shower stalls, tile, swimming pools, hummingbird feeders and birdbaths. It is user-friendly, and environmentally safe.

GSE can be used in the garden to control aphids, snails, fungus, mildew, and algae.

Use it in hot-tubs or Jacuzzis (one to two ounces per hundred gallons) or less if you are also treating with ozone, to keep the water clean and disinfected.

Drinking Water can be made safe by ten drops for each gallon of clear water. Agitate or mix vigorously and let it rest for a few minutes. It may be used as a prophylactic agent for those who travel abroad.

A very small amount of Nutribiotic GSE will keep a covered bottle of clean distilled water safe for a very long time. You can add it to home- made products like medicinal or cosmetics,  to lengthen their shelf life.  

All by itself GSE is an extremely stable product and has an indefinite shelf life. 

For sore throats or tonsillitis, put 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract into
a glass of lukewarm water and gargle extensively with the solution 5-6 times a day. In addition, the extract should be used internally.  Those in my family find the small tablets very easy to swallow, even with a sore throat, but the drops can be mixed with a small amount of real fruit juice or warm tea.

As an antiseptic mouthwash:  Gargle thoroughly three times daily with 5
drops of extract in a glass of water. 

For mouth ulcers:  Rinse your mouth several times daily with 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract in a glass of water. In addition, dab the mouth ulcer with 2 drops in a Tbs. of water using a cotton swab.

(Don't use GSE straight, it is very potent stuff!)

For cracked lips, dilute a few drops of GSE with a Tbs. of light olive oil and apply several times a day.

For cold sores, apply a mixture of several drops of GSE with one tablespoon of light olive oil 2-3 times daily to the affected spots using a swab. Let the preparation remain on the sore overnight. Use again as soon as possible if there are any signs of the blisters forming again.

For sinus problems, either purchase the Nutribiotic nasal spray, or do 
a nasal rinse several times a day. In addition, the extract should be used internally (as in, a few drops taken in water 1-3 times a day).  To do a nasal rinse: put about 3 drops of GSE in an egg-cup of lukewarm water and mix well. Using a pipette, drip a few drops of the mixture into both nostrils while leaning your head back for a minute or two. Move your head from side to side and back and forth, sniff in several times and then gently blow your nose. (Always use in a diluted form,  NEVER drip undiluted extract into the nose!!!)

For internal use, the rule of thumb for gastrointestinal disorders, including bacterial, fungal, parasitic, or viral, is to use one drop of liquid concentrate per 10 pounds of body weight.  We have found it very helpful for bronchitis and sinus infections in our family.

Some other things that are benefited by the use of GSE are: bad breath, toothaches, gingivitis, runny nose, coughs, hoarseness, laryngitis, earaches, acne, shaving, head lice, rashes, dermatitis, psoriasis, shingles, eczema, insect bites and stings, warts, athlete's foot, corns, blisters, vaginitis, yeast infections, colds, gastrointestinal infections, candida albicans, parasitic diseases, and allergies.

Nutribiotic GSE is the brand I am most familiar with, though there are other brands out there.  It is available in these forms:  liquid concentrate, tablets, capsules, powdered concentrate, nasal spray, and ointment. 

Grapefruit Seed Extract Uses - For Health

Grapefruit Seed Extract Use 1 - Facial Cleanser
Wash your face with water. Then take a few drops of grapefruit seed extract on the fingertips while your hands are still moist. This would dilute the extract. Rub this liquid on your face in circular motion with your fingertips. Once the extract gets absorbed into the skin, rinse face thoroughly. Some may experience a tingling sensation for sometime after use. However, this is due to the deep cleansing action of the extract. This is a very effective treatment for
acne and eczema.

Grapefruit Seed Extract Use 2 - Scalp Treatment
One of the grapefruit seed extract benefits is that it can be used to treat
dandruff. For this, add 2 to 3 drops of the extract to the shampoo that you use for each hair wash. Apply the shampoo to your hair and scalp and leave it on for 2 minutes. Then rinse your hair as usual.

Grapefruit Seed Extract Use 3 - For Cracked Lips
Mix a few drops of grapefruit seed extract with a tablespoon of light olive oil. Apply this several times throughout the day to prevent cracked lips.

Grapefruit Seed Extract Use 4 - Mouthwash
Add about 4 to 5 drops of the extract to a glass of water. Use this water to gargle everyday. This solution works as an excellent antiseptic mouthwash that keeps harmful micro-organisms in the mouth under check. It is specifically useful in treating
gingivitis.

Grapefruit Seed Extract Use 5 - Nasal Rinse
A nasal rinse can be prepared by adding 4 drops of grapefruit seed extract salt water in a neti pot. Alternately, a solution made by adding 1 drop of the grapefruit seed extract to 1/4 cup of water can be used with the help of a nasal syringe. This nasal rinse is useful in
sinus infection treatment.

Grapefruit Seed Extract Use 6 - Hand Disinfectant
Prepare a disinfecting hand wash by adding 2 to 3 drops to moist hands. Now rub the hands together and wash.

Grapefruit Seed Extract Use 7 - Nail Treatment
You can treat
nail fungus by adding 7 to 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract to 1 tablespoon of water. Apply this solution all over the nail, cuticle and also under the nails. Continue this treatment twice daily for as long as required. Read more on toenail fungus treatment.

Grapefruit Seed Extract Use 8 - Purify Water
Grapefruit seed extract benefits include its ability to disinfect drinking water. For this, add 3 to 5 drops of the grapefruit seed extract to a glass of water. This water may taste a little bitter due to the extract. To fight cold, flu, candida infections and certain parasites, add 10 to15 drops of the extract to a glass of water or juice. Take this preparation 3 time daily.

Grapefruit Seed Extract Uses - Miscellaneous

• Grapefruit seed extract is effective against aphids, snails, fungus, mildew, and algae growing in the garden.
  • It can be used to clean fungus and mildew from shower stalls, tile and swimming pools.
  • Adding a few drops of grapefruit seed extract to the carpet or floor cleaning machine would clear off odor due to bacteria and molds. It also helps in killing pathogenic organisms like staph, salmonella and strep in carpets.
  • Soak fruits and vegetables for 15 minutes in a sink full of water with 15 to 20 drops of the grapefruit seed extract added to it. Then wash them with normal water. This removes traces of pesticides or any microorganism that may be present on fruits and vegetables.
  • Make an all purpose cleaner by mixing 30-60 drops of grapefruit seed extract in 32 oz. of water or your favorite cleanser. Use this as a spray to clean and disinfect all surfaces in the house.
starflower57
by on Mar. 1, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Thanks for the  info. I don't like to use prescription drugs but sometimes I'm not sure  or forget what I might use. I'll save this to keep on hand for future use. thanks again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN