Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CAVA K12 or CONNECTIONS ACADEMY?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:55 PM
  • 22 Replies
  • 10733 Total Views

Just wondering, if choice between CAVA or Connections Academy which would you pick?

I am finding out more and more about Connections(in California) and it sounds great! I originally was sold on CAVA, but it seems to me the clubs and social aspects of Connections is awesome! My son would start in middle school and insight and experienceswould be appreciated.

Thanks!

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunmoonstars071
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:57 PM

We have used Connections Academy in the past, and the first year that we used it we loved it!  Now however it has far to many restrictions, and the upper grades do not use Calvert curriculum, which we loved. 

We are going to give K-12 a try, I just finished faxing all of the enrollment documents today.

robin697
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 16, 2009 at 1:30 AM

I hope K12 works out for you! Was your child in middle school with Connections?

Thanks for your reponse!

BeckyDurbin
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 17, 2009 at 7:12 AM

I plan on enrolling my daughter in Kindy at Ohio Connections Academy next year.  I know people who have kids in K12 and they have said it si too intense.  I have attended info sessions for OCA and like the flexibility and the fact that if my daughter need to work ahead, then she isn't held back but also if she struggles, she isn't left behind either.  I also liked that in high school they can take advanced standing college courses so that by the time they graduate high school, they already have college courses under their belt.  Hope that helps.  Becky

robin697
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 20, 2009 at 1:09 AM

Thanks the reply's!!!

daniellequinn
by Testing the waters on Nov. 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Can you tell me where to find info on Connections? Thank you!

robin697
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 25, 2009 at 1:03 AM

I just Goggled connections academy!

onebabymama
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 25, 2009 at 4:02 AM

Quoting daniellequinn:

As for California it is only available in the Southern and Central part of the state.

The FREE version is not available to us here in Northern California... only the National Online Private School Program is available to us at this end of the state - at a cost of almost $4,500/year for grades K-5!

When you try to select the Northern half of California to see if you are "eligible" their website displays the following message:

Connections Academy is actively working with parent groups, education officials, and others to launch a school in this state.

If you would like us to keep you informed of our efforts, please complete the information request form and receive emails regarding enrollment information when it becomes available as well as other valuable tips and updates from Connections Academy.

I'm not sure how they can be available in almost 1/2 of the state and not the other?  I think that is interesting to say the least.

Shelah                 Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

braddock0615
by on Nov. 26, 2009 at 8:43 AM

Honestly, we've tried both!  We didn't like either one of them!!!  I have my Highschooler enrolled in a private virtual academy and am teaching my two younger kids with curriculum that I find at www.educateyourkids.org .  The free virtual schools put restrictions on you and follow a public school curriculum, and any Virtual Private Academy puts no restrictions on you, but charges a lot of money.  I have found that the Virtual Private Academy works really well for my highschooler, but when it comes to my other two, picking out our own curriculum from the site I mentioned before is the way to go.  Homeschooling is such an individual thing.  Don't stress too much about it, have fun with it, and enjoy teaching and learning with your child/children.

busy mom

cabyrum
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 30, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I wish it was available in the SF Bay area (or just outside at least) but it's not. The website has updated though since I looked 2 weeks ago to say it is in progress though. I wonder if that means it will actually be available in the next school year.

Quoting onebabymama:

Quoting daniellequinn:

As for California it is only available in the Southern and Central part of the state.

The FREE version is not available to us here in Northern California... only the National Online Private School Program is available to us at this end of the state - at a cost of almost $4,500/year for grades K-5!

When you try to select the Northern half of California to see if you are "eligible" their website displays the following message:

Connections Academy is actively working with parent groups, education officials, and others to launch a school in this state.

If you would like us to keep you informed of our efforts, please complete the information request form and receive emails regarding enrollment information when it becomes available as well as other valuable tips and updates from Connections Academy.

I'm not sure how they can be available in almost 1/2 of the state and not the other?  I think that is interesting to say the least.

baby growth

baby

suej27
by on Dec. 11, 2009 at 1:51 AM

we live in So Cal and we chose Cava, so far, it's worked out great, it has been easy to get through the lessons and my DD is passing all her assessments with 100%.  we're in 7th grade and are seriously considering doing 8th grade as well.  Oh, and she did get a great computer and supplies all for free.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)