Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many hours a day do you home school your kids

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:10 PM
  • 19 Replies
  • 4321 Total Views

I am using a virtual home school program ( public school done at home)  I dont like it we must get a minimum of 3%and the end of every week  and must school a minimum of five hours\. I do not have a problem with the 3% my  problem is the five hours which is an approximate of an hour per subject some 45 min my daughter can finish all her schooling in a max time of three hours. They expect you to go to the next lesson and the next until your hour is filled for that subject. which I do not agree with because a child's brain can only take in so much at a time and stay there.  there time ware my daughter will be doing math for that hour then go  to Language arts and I'll ask her a question and she will ramble off a math problem. It was funny the first few time.  I'll ask her if that pretained to what we were just learning and she'ill giggle and say no then I ask her what we were just doing and she will not have clue. not cool when an hour language art turns in to 2 hours cause she is still on math, and yes I give her plenty of breaks in between subjects.

Sheldons89

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ncstress
by Helping Hands on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:19 AM

We don't use an online program with stringent requirements, but we are following oldfashionedcurriculum.com somewhat with a mix of other stuff I add on my own.  If my 10 and 5 yo get straight to work my 10 yo will finish in about 3 hours and my 5 yo in about 1.5 - 2 hours.  Usually, they like a break in between each topic and playtime so it ends up spreading out to the length of the day but I try and give them no more work than that not including of course research for my 10 yo which he has to do outside of our time schooling as well.

mancosmomma
by Guidance on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:44 AM

My kids are 10 and almost 12.  We spend about 2-3 hours 5 days a week.

Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Nov. 17, 2009 at 9:45 AM

I spend 0-1 hour a day depending on the day and the needs of my teen (16).

He spends 0-2 hours a day depending on the day in formal sit down learning / writing / doing stuff.

The rest is unschooled and life.

SUSAN03
by Testing the waters on Nov. 18, 2009 at 7:51 AM

There is no certain time limit. Just enjoy your children and work on different subjects through out the day allowing breaks in between. I mix school work, chores and free time to give my son a variety so he does not get bored.  Have fun and enjoy this special time together.

JadeTigr7
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:24 AM

I homeschool my 5 and 4 year old in around an hour a day and that covers phonics, handwriting, numbers, and then an extracurricular.

PAW to Michael
SAHM to James, Jade and Steven
Expecting #4 around 10/24/09
sl_underwood
by Testing the waters on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:44 AM

My 13 year old works 3-4 hours most days.  She does not do a virtual school.  She does 1hour of Aleks for math, then we do notebooking for everything else.  This month we are doing a notebook on Cats.  Yesterday, she spent several hours on cat anatomy but it was because she wanted to, not because we said spend 3 hours on it.  With my son, age 6, we spend about 2 hours a day but it is broken down into 15 minute intervals, this includes physical, occupational and speech therapy.   In addition to this, he does watch educational programming and play educational games. 

aeh111
by Welcome Squad on Nov. 19, 2009 at 7:36 PM

We spend between 3/6 hours some days more some days less.  It depends on the subject.  When we planned and planted our garden it was longer ~ the children were very into it and wanted to keep going.

We homeschool 6 days a week for 310 days a year. 

twiliyte
by Helping Hands on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:05 AM

3-6 hours a day, depending on what life throws at us.

We are unit studying and note/lapbooking (for the first time). We are loving it and they are learning more this way than they even realize! They are learning everything thanksgiving right now! Pumpkins, Corn, Turkey, Pilgrims, Indians, Mayflower, etc. We will be doing a unit study on "Sarah, Plain and Tall" tomorrow and Saturday, then we will be doing one on "The Pumpkin Runner" Monday and Tuesday next week. They will have a long weekend with their dad for Thanksgiving, and then we will do a lesson/unit study/notebook/lapbook on "The Indian In The Cupboard" when they come home.

We also have Girl, Cub and Boy Scouting and I work 30 hours a week outside the home.

Don't sweat the petty stuff- and don't pet the sweaty stuff!

Cassieopia Hursh- a.k.a. Twiliyte
Batesville, Arkansas

Homeschooling Mommy of 4
AxL Layn- 3/9/98                 Odin Fenix- 1/21/00
Andromeda- 6/20/01          Xander Jack Oryon- 9/5/03

www.twiliyte.webs.com

fox252000
by on Nov. 21, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Approximately 3-5 hours. Some days are lighter than others, though, and may only be 1-2 hours of actual work. Wednesdays are group day and Thursdays are library day so these days are a little lighter. We do so much work though! Right now I am scrambling to find more work for my 12 yr old. He has zipped right through his work and we might end up finished a couple of weeks earlier than I wanted to be.

I looked into the academy online program when we decided to homeschool but it seemed too rigid. I am still running a household here (big family) and things change rapidly. I have to be able to adjust our daily activities when needed. I think an hour on a subject is a little excessive if it's boring to the child. I can't remember the set up or the look of the lessons, but staring at a screen for a long time can get very monotinous very fast. Retention may be tough.

Some kids love it though and it's hard to know which ones like what. Trial and error helps here. Try something different (without taking away from the current program, cuz I know they are checking up on everything) in the evening or something and see if retention improves. It took two school years for me to find what works with my kids. They are all different and have different learning styles and temperments so it was tough! I sometimes pity the PS teachers who have to use the same style on as many as 30 different kids with as many as 30 different learning styles, etc.

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Nov. 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM

We do two shifts.  We have a morning shift and an after noon shift.  We do two hours in the morning and then break for lunch and they have free time until somewhere between 3-4pm.  In the afternoon we do about an hour to an hour and a half.  We do that 3 days per week.  The other two days we have half days.  We have dance class on one of those days and Art class with a local artist on the other day.  Sometimes we do puzzles or games or watch an educational video during their free time.  I pretty much let them decide whether we do something or not during this time.  Their free time works better for me when it is a larger block of time for us.  We school all year with breaks ever so often.  We do have a lot lighter load in the summer.  Doing school all year helps to take our time and give them more time for free expression all year.   We basically do a variety of different things so the public school at home would not work for us.  We enjoy our freedom.  I do look at state test books to make sure nothing is left out.  I do his CAT test every summer and so far he has scored very high.  Our system seems to work very well for us.  We love it.

As far as five hours per day.  Public school doesn't do that much.  When you figure in how much time each child gets from the teacher is much less than that.  You could include all the time you spend playing games, singing, reading, cooking, and whatever else you do together.  If you child reads a book during her free time I would include that.  If we tried to do five hours per day five days a week we would get burnt our really fast.  I hope this helps and good luck in your studies.  Take it easy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)