Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many hours a day do you home school your kids

Posted by   + Show Post

I am using a virtual home school program ( public school done at home)  I dont like it we must get a minimum of 3%and the end of every week  and must school a minimum of five hours\. I do not have a problem with the 3% my  problem is the five hours which is an approximate of an hour per subject some 45 min my daughter can finish all her schooling in a max time of three hours. They expect you to go to the next lesson and the next until your hour is filled for that subject. which I do not agree with because a child's brain can only take in so much at a time and stay there.  there time ware my daughter will be doing math for that hour then go  to Language arts and I'll ask her a question and she will ramble off a math problem. It was funny the first few time.  I'll ask her if that pretained to what we were just learning and she'ill giggle and say no then I ask her what we were just doing and she will not have clue. not cool when an hour language art turns in to 2 hours cause she is still on math, and yes I give her plenty of breaks in between subjects.

Sheldons89

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:10 PM
Replies (11-19):
samanthakayee
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 7:26 PM

We do about 4 hours. I turn in the work to a Charter school. So we have a set amount we have to get done also.

"She discovered with great delight that one does not love one's children just because they are one's children but because of the friendship formed while raising them. >Marquez "
tel4him
by on Jan. 21, 2010 at 7:18 AM

I'm homeschooling a first grader and a 2nd grader and it takes us about 2 hours to get through all our subjects.

Theresa, proud homeschooling mom to Ellie, 8, Ian, 6, and

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Jampuppy
by on Jan. 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Hi!

Sounds like your daughter is elementary-school age.  I follow Charlotte Mason's advice for lesson lengths.  She says that after 10 minutes the attention span of a young child degrades so much that they are not longer getting the quality they deserve.  So, when my kids were little, we kept lessons very short, but had a great diversity of subjects.  (Charlotte Mason also advised that kids be outside for their lessons, which I love!)  We like tactile resources and rarely use the computer except to print things out.  Now my kids are teens, so our lessons are 20 minutes to an hour, which adds up to about 2-4 hours, M,W,F & 1 hour T&Th but take months off at a time sometimes. 

Best wishes!  I miss little kids... I've learned so much as mine have grown and would love to do it again! 

Catherine

Oh yeah - someone did a study once to find out how much PS kids were learning in a day and figured out that a child in a home setting could learn as much in about 15 minutes per day. 

BeckyDurbin
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 22, 2010 at 8:28 AM

May I ask what program you are using.  We are planning on using Connections Academy for kindy this year and I was told that there are several things you can do to fill school time.  Some examples they gave me are, going to the library, museum, online educational sites, shows on the learning or discovery channels and even sports time counts as phys ed.  Any learning opportunity is recordable.  Hope that helps.  Becky

HisBrandy
by Helping Hands on Apr. 11, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Our day officially begins at 9 am and ends around 3 pm. In this time, we will have chores (straigtening up the schooling area and picking up the materials mostly) and lunch break.

The instructional and project time takes about 4 hours a day. We school all year long.

rockinmama07
by on Apr. 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM

We don't set a time limit.  If it only takes her 30minutes, then we only do 30 minutes.  The rest of our day is "fun learning"/unschooling/everyday life.  If it takes her 7+ hours then it takes that.  It all depends on what kind of day she's having and what we want to do.  We also don't do every subject every day.  We split it up so that we don't go stagnant.

SoccerCoach
by Testing the waters on May. 19, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Responding to Sheldons89:

Sounds like you do a progam similar to mine.  My teacher/coordinator told me a long time ago that the goal is for the child to learn, not put in a set amount of time.  She told me that if the child passed the assesment in 15 minutes, then I could still log in 1 hour of attendance.  This is how the schools get their funding so it is important to log in the hours.  At first I felt that it was dishonest and didn't think it was right, but I'm homeschooling 4 children from 1st through 7th grade and I'm over feeling guilty.  Again, the main goal is for your child to learn.  It makes since that at a public school with 20-30 children in class that a teacher would need the whole hour to teach (and sometimes you will too, it the concept is new or challenging for your child), but no one knows your child better than you so if you believe your child knows it, move on.  This is especially true when each lesson is repititious.  For example today's lesson might be multiplying by 2's and tomorrow's is multiplying by 3's.  The concept is the same, only the number has changed.  You should be able to work ahead if you like or use the time to work on that grammar that may be troubling your child.  Flexibility is one of the reasons we homeschool.

padavali
by Helping Hands on May. 19, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I try to keep each subject down to 10 minutes a day for my DD, who is almost 4.  And we break it up into 2 parts during the day.  Phonics, math, printing in the am.  reading, unit study and extra somthing, in the afternoon.  During the nice weather, we only do 30 mins a day, the morning stuff, and 4 days a week

EarlyBird77
by Welcome Squad on Jun. 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM

We don't do an virtual program either but for my oldest who will be 6th grade in Sept, we average about 3-4 hours most days.. if there are science experiements or a history project etc.. I try to save those for Saturdays when we have nothing going on as far as after school activities. My two little ones who will be 1st and Kindergarten this coming year, I work with them on average 1-2 hours...The older they get the more time they need to complete more subjects.. But My oldest has completed 12 subjects in 3 hours if he really focuses... We do break for lunch also and some things I have the kids do on the computer like Math for my oldest which frees me up to spend more time with my little ones.

Tracey

mom to Cameron 11, Jaydon 6 and Cheyenne 5

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)