Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would HS help?

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 3:47 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 248 Total Views

Our daughter is 11 years old and is in 7th grade in public school.  This is her 1st time attending public school, up to this point she has been in a charter school.  After moving to TX we found that the charter schools have long waiting lists and lotteries to get in.  Hence why she is in public school.  She has always been a straight A student until this year.  We just recieved her report card and she is failing EVERY subject.

I am starting to think that homeschooling might be better for her.  I'm not a teacher and def not the "teaching" type but I have found a number of accredited online schools like K12.org.  I know that keeping her home won't change the fact that she needs to get organized but it seems like the schools have no sympathy at all for a child with ADD, unless I walk in with a Dr. note and meds.  We know she has ADD because her father has it, we don't take her to a psychiatrist because in the past they have only given her meds and they altered her to a point that we didn't like.

Like another mom posted on here it gets to the point where you begin to get depressed because you have no idea what to do.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(='.'=) bunny into your signature to

(")_(") help him gain world domination
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
happy1mom
by Helping Hands on Nov. 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I think it's worth a try.

A friend of mine has her kids enrolled with K12.  They planned on just trying it out for a few months, but they liked it so much that they stuck with it.  They do 6th and 8th grade work.  She likes it because everything is provided - laptop, text books, worksheets, art material, the whole shebang.   The great thing is that they go at their own daily pace.  I think the work has to be turned in on a certain day (end of the week maybe?), but they do the actual work at any time of the day.  Easy to fit in other activities and work around errands.

We prefer to go the ecclectic route - a little this, a little that.  My daughter is 15 and we have found some on line courses she can take through the public school's adult and community classes.

If you decide to go ahead and give hs a shot, I highly recommend joining a few homeschool support groups.  You can find them on meetup.com or even through yahoo groups.  It's a great way to connect with other hs who have "been there, done that".

Good luck!  Let us know if we can help out in any way.

Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Nov. 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Homeschooling could help. I know it helped my girl with her ADD issues. However, I'm not sure about online schools. I think they require things to be done on a schedule? I prefer to figure out our own schedule and tailor it to my kids needs and abilities.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)