Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

homeschooling for teens, New Braunfels Tx

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 317 Total Views

My daughter is 13yo and has always gone to public school, but we are completely unsatisfied with the school system. Any opinions regarding online public schooling (k-12, IQAcademy) vs. traditional homeschooling?

I'm in New Braunfels Texas and would love to meet some moms with teenagers that are homeschooling as well. Any insight would be very helpful!

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ohboy3
by Welcome Squad on Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I just wanted to let you know that K-12 in Texas is not free for High School and follows the public school guidelines including all the testing for TAKS, etc.   If you are trying to move away from this then you might want to consider other options.  I live in San Antonio, called them about my 15yr old and that is what the person I spoke to told me.  Don't have other ideas for you as far as online stuff since I decided to just continue with an independent, eclectic curriculum.

bren_darlene
by Hall Monitor Bren on Feb. 3, 2010 at 11:23 AM

When I first began home educating my DC (over 17 yrs ago) my oldest was also 13 and we lived in TX. too :)  I personally wanted to get as far from PS and their curriculum as possible.  I chose ABeka and still use quite a bit of their books.  I think that you can do much better than the public school books.  As far as meeting other home schoolers you can ask your local library if they know how you can get in touch with the local homeschool support group. They generally always know.

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

svmelton
by Testing the waters on Feb. 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that. K-12 enrollment is closed for the remainder of this year, so it wasn't an option. We are now trying IQAcademy to transition out of public school, then a home school curriculum starting next year. I've heard great things about A Beka. Any feedback regarding this curriculum is appreciated!

home4ever
by Welcome Squad on Feb. 4, 2010 at 7:22 AM

I  am "eclectic/unschooling" meaning we have no purchased curriculum, and most stuff is child directed learning.

My house is full of books, games and other cool stuff.  I have just always naturally bought the kids "educational" stuff-whether they knew it or not :-)

Funny, my daughter just naturally does stuff that is considered "school".

I have a blog if you want to see what we do.

http://princessderschool.blogspot.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)