Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New and scared! Help please!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 279 Total Views

I'm in the process of enrolling (did the initial application just have to send in final paperwork) my oldest son into a Virtual Academy. I'm a bit nervous and anxious at the whole thing. I dont have a lot of support as far as family and friends go and I'm going to college also.My son is hearing impaired (not completely deaf), ADHD, speech impairment, and a comprehension issue. And all the schools (all 5 in the past 5 years) have had issues with following IEP's, helping him understand and comprehend, so I figured this was going to be my best option since I know how to explain things to him!

I just want to know from other homeschooling momma's..... is it really that difficult to keep under control? He's in the K12 program which is tied to Ohio Virtual Academy here in (duh) Ohio! LOL.....

I just need to make sure I'm doing the right thing....

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
cabinmommy
by Testing the waters on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:38 AM

As far as I am concerened, I know that each parent, when making the leap into homeschooling, it can be alittle scary. I was scared at first, but as time went on and the more I was hearing about things happening in our schools I knew I was making the right decision. My mom thought I would not be able to teach them all that well. As time has come and gone this school year, she is thrilled that I am homeschooling. You need to find what works best for you and your son. And stick to it. The crriculim we are using this year was not the right one for them. Thats the beauty of homeschooling, you are able to trail and error the crriculim. This coming school year I found a crriculim that will work for both of my kids and I get to intract more with them. We have the right to do what is best for our kids. Don't worry about not having enough support, you have support here and maybe they will open their eyes to the world of homeschooling. There are people out there that can't handle going aginst the system, but what they need to realize is that this is how the did it back in the old days. Hang in there. I am always here for support.

Cabinmommycowgirl

Momof2MixdBoyz
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM

My mom is the same as your mom... my mom said I'm going to get frustrated and scream and yell at him. But when she seen us sitting at the kitchen table last week and I was pulling things from around the kitchen to help him with his math... and we were laughing and he was getting it... she was amazed!!! I don't know I'm just really freaked out right now... and now my 4 soon to be 5 yr old and to start kindergarten next year wants me to homeschool him as well....

Quoting cabinmommy:

As far as I am concerened, I know that each parent, when making the leap into homeschooling, it can be alittle scary. I was scared at first, but as time went on and the more I was hearing about things happening in our schools I knew I was making the right decision. My mom thought I would not be able to teach them all that well. As time has come and gone this school year, she is thrilled that I am homeschooling. You need to find what works best for you and your son. And stick to it. The crriculim we are using this year was not the right one for them. Thats the beauty of homeschooling, you are able to trail and error the crriculim. This coming school year I found a crriculim that will work for both of my kids and I get to intract more with them. We have the right to do what is best for our kids. Don't worry about not having enough support, you have support here and maybe they will open their eyes to the world of homeschooling. There are people out there that can't handle going aginst the system, but what they need to realize is that this is how the did it back in the old days. Hang in there. I am always here for support.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)