Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spring is on it's way!!! Jar Garden tips???

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 776 Total Views

Hi. We're planning to do a jar garden here in a week or two and i was just wondering if anyone has done one before? Did you use soil or something else (the plan i'm looking at says to use a paper towel and a paper towel roll?) in the jar? What kind of seeds did you use or which are best for the most clear and dramatic results?

TIA

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination. I'm an alternative healing, less extreme AP, non-vaccinating, spiritually open minded, crunchy, scrapbooking, Pagan, mom to two unique little boys and a loving wife to my outstanding Army soldier. 

by on Feb. 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ziff130
by on Feb. 25, 2010 at 9:56 PM

oooh!! That sounds like a fun idea. I may have to look into that more. What a fun project. I hand't even thought of it.

outstandingLove
by Doula Cheri on Feb. 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Thanks. We're also going to keep a journal of it's progress. I can't wait to see the kinds of drawings DS1 will do in his journal. And we'll add a few words too each picture.

outstandingLove
by Doula Cheri on Feb. 26, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I'm kind of surprised that i haven't gotten more replies. I thought for sure this was a project that would be fairly popular amongst homeschool families. lol.

fox252000
by on Feb. 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I will be gardening with the kids soon but we are going to make a big garden out in the yard. I have never done the jar garden. Sorry.

dottieanna29
by Dorothy on Apr. 28, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Are you talking about something like a terrarium?  I used to do them all the time - sometimes in a jar, sometimes in an old bottle, sometimes in a fish tank.   The main things to watch - put gravel in the bottom to help the soil drain, add activated charcoal to help keep it from getting musty smelling and use plants that like high humidity.

If you search on terrariums, you should find more information.

PUMPKIN1117
by on Feb. 18, 2011 at 12:44 AM

it really does!

Quoting ziff130:

oooh!! That sounds like a fun idea. I may have to look into that more. What a fun project. I hand't even thought of it.

{{WHOSOEVER}}

Pregnancy%20ticker

ziff130
by on May. 7, 2011 at 7:37 AM

So, how did this turn out? I'm thinking about doing it this year.

outstandingLove
by Doula Cheri on May. 7, 2011 at 10:17 AM

my boys ended up dumping it out. lol

tennisgal
by Helping Hands on Mar. 30, 2012 at 4:24 PM

BUMP! This caught my eye and I need to remind myself to look it up more tonight. 

j9latulippe
by Welcome Squad on Mar. 30, 2012 at 4:34 PM

We started some seeds inside and I think that peas would really be the best for quick results.

~Janine
Encouraging, Educating, and Empowering Parents
to
 take control of their children's education.
 http://www.trueaimeducation.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)