Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cursive writting?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2010 at 8:00 PM
  • 42 Replies
  • 2021 Total Views

Do/did you teach your children cursive writting? It almost seems like a thing of the past. I still have a couple years before i really need to make a choice on this, but is it really still that important?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination. I'm an alternative healing, less extreme AP, non-vaccinating, spiritually open minded, crunchy, scrapbooking, Pagan, mom to two unique little boys and a loving wife to my outstanding Army soldier. 

by on Mar. 5, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ziff130
by on Mar. 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I've heard talk that they're going to remove it from the public school curriculum. I used to love cursive. I dunno though.

nikki0522
by Helping Hands on Mar. 5, 2010 at 11:30 PM

I'm teaching my son cursive. We've been using the Handwriting Without Tears cursive book. It does seem to be dying out, but I think it's important to be able to at least sign your name.

Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Mar. 6, 2010 at 12:16 AM

I agree, it is dying out but they should still be able to read and write it, and particularly sign checks or important papers.

jessradtke
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 1:20 AM

In my opinion, typing/keyboarding skills will probably be more important to most people's daily lives than writing. I didn't teach my oldest cursive, but he did learn to read different styles. He chose to write in Italic cursive for a while but now he mostly writes "engineering style" except for his signature. So does my husband, for that matter. Anything more involved than a list they both type on the computer. My youngest is only 5 and still writes manuscript, but she will likely learn to write cursive at some point too. I don't know if she'll use it any more than her dad or brother though.

ziff130
by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:01 AM

You mention signing your names but you really don't have to sign your name in cursive. My sis never got the hang of cursive and always prints her name on everything.

tabathafelts
by Testing the waters on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:05 AM

My daughter is 6, I the only cursive I taught her is to sign her name.  She has picked some up by herself, but I agree with the other mom- computer skills are more important.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Bleacheddecay
by Leader on Mar. 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I agree that keyboarding or typing is far more important.

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I read that cursive actually is better for people with dyslexia to learn first because it is easier to distinguish letters than printing.  My husband is from France and they teach them to write in cursive before they learn to print.  My oldest son started in ps and only learned printing until we started hs in 2nd grade and my 6 yo started with cursive.  I think it was easier for him to learn to write than his older brother but they both started differently.  For my boys, I gave each of them a small dry erase board of their own along with markers and I would write the letter on the big board and explain that the letter would touch the sky, grass, or ground (top, middle, bottom lines) and then they would try it on their boards.  We did 3 letters a day as well as a practice connecting the letters to form words, our first word was cab because they only knew abc and then abc and bac so they got the feel of the connecting letters.  I didn't pressure them to write on paper and they only did the writing lesson until they wrote 1 "perfect" letter or word.  Perfect according to form, obviously not necessarily very neat in the beginning.  What I found was they would practice on their own because they enjoy writing, but our lesson was maybe 5-10 minutes long a day.

momo8child
by Helping Hands on Mar. 7, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I think cursive is important.  Printing is an elementary form of writing, and writing like that in business and in public would give the impression of ignorance.  When I was in school, eveyone learned cursive, but we called it "writing" (vs. printing). I think the reason so many 30 and under aged people don't know how to write is because of the dumbing down of schools.  The teachers are busy with so much nonsense, they don't bother to teach the kids how to write.  Having neat handwriting is important.  Also, if you know how to write, you can learn calligraphy.  A Reason for Handwriting is an easy but very effective handwriting course.  It starts out with printing, then transitions into cursive.  The children learn to write Bible verses that can be displayed.  Yes, there is a reason for writing.

outstandingLove
by Doula Cheri on Mar. 7, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Quoting momo8child:

I think cursive is important.  Printing is an elementary form of writing, and writing like that in business and in public would give the impression of ignorance.  When I was in school, eveyone learned cursive, but we called it "writing" (vs. printing). I think the reason so many 30 and under aged people don't know how to write is because of the dumbing down of schools.  The teachers are busy with so much nonsense, they don't bother to teach the kids how to write.  Having neat handwriting is important.  Also, if you know how to write, you can learn calligraphy.  A Reason for Handwriting is an easy but very effective handwriting course.  It starts out with printing, then transitions into cursive.  The children learn to write Bible verses that can be displayed.  Yes, there is a reason for writing.

I don't think that's why lots of younger people (such as myself) don't know cursive (although, i do know cursive). When i was in school they told us we had to learn it because when we got to high school EVERYTHING was going to have be submitted in cursive. ...guess what? that never happened. teachers only wanted it typed up. And if, for some reason you had done everything within your power but a computer was not available, then you were to slowly and clearly print it. This was because most high schoolers cursive was too difficult to read. because after the elementary years most young people never had to practice cursive (other then their name).

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination. I'm an alternative healing, less extreme AP, non-vaccinating, spiritually open minded, crunchy, scrapbooking, Pagan, mom to two unique little boys and a loving wife to my outstanding Army soldier. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)