Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do/did you teach your children cursive writting? It almost seems like a thing of the past. I still have a couple years before i really need to make a choice on this, but is it really still that important?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste him into your signature to help him gain world domination. I'm an alternative healing, less extreme AP, non-vaccinating, spiritually open minded, crunchy, scrapbooking, Pagan, mom to two unique little boys and a loving wife to my outstanding Army soldier. 

by on Mar. 5, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Replies (41-42):
aneela
by Neely on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM

i will teach my son the basics for sure...i dont see why we shouldnt at least teach some...but i can see where the typing etc has taken over our world

lucsch
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Since this post keeps coming alive, I thought I'd give an update.

My dd's cursive is much better than her printing ever was. We aren't even finished with the first learn-to-write-cursive workbook from Pentime, but she is proficient at it. I say, if it is this easy to teach, why not?

Also, she can type very fast, which I did not teach her at all. I think most kids are drawn to computers and will self-teach keyboarding skills so they can play games and email their friends and such. I don't think it is an either/or argument, just as I wouldn't try to choose between math or grammar---I'd do both!

Many historical documents are in cursive, my dd's grandparents still write notes in birthday cards, cursive is pretty, cursive is faster, her brothers learned in school...I could probably come up with other reasons why I taught cursive to her, but those are some.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN