Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

unit studies...

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:41 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 264 Total Views

My son will be starting K next year. We've been doing unit studies and I really like the idea of continuing that through elementary school. The problem is that some weeks I feel like my ideas don't want to come to me and my mind is mush. I'm set for the rest of preschool but I was wondering if there are any curriculums that are set up as unit studies? The only one I can find is Konos. It's Christian based and I don't mind that so much but I'm not sure how much of it is Christian. We will have religion study time but I want to be able to do it at my own pace and my own stuff. Anyways.... are there any other unit study curriculums out there??

Thank you!!

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
T_Fisher
by on Mar. 7, 2010 at 7:54 AM

I do unit studies... most of the units last for up to months on end.  I am glad that my children are now at the age they can say "I want to learn about ___ mom" I did one unit study (this one was rather short though) on candy. We learned about the history of candy and candies all over the world, health affects of candy, how they make some candy sour, we even took a trip to a local candy factory and then went home and made our own candy.

I am not saying that there are not days that we curl up with a book but my kids like that it all follows the theme we are on that week, month, whatever. I do not set a timeline on the unit studies bc as long as we are still learning and they are still interested then why change it.

As for the not being able to think of something... try just googleing unit study or just pick a topic at random... cows, the earth, worms, egypt, butterflies, ANYTHING can be made into a unit study, it just takes some work.

I cannot recommend a curriculum as I have never used one sorry. Just hang in there, something will fit your needs...

momo8child
by Helping Hands on Mar. 11, 2010 at 12:20 AM

I have used KONOS for my kids when they were younger.  You can do it at your own pace, and you can make it as Christian or not as you want.  If you just get the big books, you can choose from many suggested activities, or do what you want.  I found a lot of mistakes in it, such as info that antibiotics improve your immune system, which is not true.  I really like My Father's World, but it is very Christian.  You could check out Weaver from Alpha Omega, but I think that is very Christian too.  KONOS would be your best choice I know of if you don't want a lot of Christian in it.  You could also check out the Unit Studies forum. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)