• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A little confused and new

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:31 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 261 Total Views

OK so a little background of my ds whom I am considering pulling out of the ps system which i am completely disgusted with at this point.  My ds is 14yr and has always struggled in school.  Last year in the middle of 8th grade I pulled him out and started him at Online school (connections academy)  he did great but he wanted to attend the public high school for his 9th grade year.  Well I enrolled him back in the ps system at the beginning of the year he ended up becoming very sick and was at doctors and missed school for about 2 1/2 months so he got extremely behind and instead of the teachers helping him get back to where he needed to be they crammed a bunch of work down his throat and punished him by labeling him the trouble maker because he was just overwhelmed.  Now don't get me wrong he doesn't always do what he is suppose to but he is a good kid. 

My question is and that I am a little confused is if I pulled him out will all the stuff he did in ps still count towards his year and will I have to incorporate his grades that he has know to what he will do.  He says he is done with the ps system he wants to come home and do Connections again but I can't enroll him in that until next year.  So I was going to bring him to hs him for the rest of this year.  I live in PA the laws are just a little confusing to me.  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. 

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 7:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Fioni
by Helping Hands on Apr. 1, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I live in pa. You already know the importants stuff like how to unenroll him. His attendance so far at public school can be counted towards his mandatory days in school. As for subject matter and grades, that is totally up to you. You only have to keep a portfolio of his work (a plain old file folder) and a reading list. Pa does have 'required subjects' but they don't expect them to all be taught at the same time. You will be okay if you include english, math, science, history, ect. They just expect that the subjects in the required list are covered at some point in high school, not all in one year. Make sure you keep a log of physical activity for phys-ed, sometimes that is a stumbling block. I keep reciepts from sports at the YMCA, also. You are supposed to have an evaluation done at the end of the year, but don't worry about that now.

Momofcrazy3
by on Apr. 2, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Oh thanks so much that doesn't sound so difficult.  Now where do I find the materials to teach him and how do I know where to start or is that also up to me I guess that would be a question for almost anyone not just PA.  Hope to hear some responses I feel clueless and wonder if anyone else felt that way

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)