Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with 2nd grade curriculum....

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:30 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 334 Total Views

My daughter will be in 2nd grade next year and I'm trying to pick out curriculum for her. I have posted about her before. She is a very bright child and especially good in Math. But she has not yet masteres reading. It is like oulling teeth to get her to read. With that being said I don't know what curriculum to use with her. I was thinking about Lifepac but not sure if it will be too hard for her since she is not reading on her own yet? Also any suggestions on the reading would be great!!

girl giving flower

by on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MissiHampt
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 1, 2010 at 10:34 PM

My son got started reading with ClickNRead....I HIGHLY recommend it.  Maybe you could use that to get her caught up before moving on?

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky & Logan.  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

momo8child
by Helping Hands on Apr. 3, 2010 at 9:05 PM

No, don't use LIFEPACs at that age.  They are too boring.  Also, you are right it would be pointless to have her do a lot of written work like that when she can't read it.

I like My Father's World for teaching reading.  It uses more manipulatives, and less worksheets.  I like to have the children use the foam letters instead of writing all the time to spell words.  If your d isn't able to read 2 and 3 letter words yet, use the K package.  If she can read those small words, then start with 1st Grade.  Or she might be ready for 2nd Grade.  MFW doesn't take very long to do each day, but you can still get good results.

Another option is Learning Language Arts Through Literature.  It uses letter and word cards.  The worksheets are more than just the usual.  Handwriting/learning to write and spell, sequencing, making little booklets, making reading wheels, etc.

Don't worry if you aren't doing the suggested grade level for age for these programs.  The important thing is that your child learns to read, and to do that you need to start at her level.

You can find these at www.mfwbooks.com (for MFW) and www.rainbowresource.com or www.christianbook.com (for LLATL).  These are good websites to find out about most of the popular curriculum.

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Apr. 4, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I agree clicknread.com is by far the easiest for kids.  I went the other route in the beginning and switched to clicknread later.  I was spending a lot more time and he was not learning nearly as much.  The attention span of my 5 and 6 year old worked much better with click n read as well.  They really liked it.  Our program consists of click n read every other day, and practice reading through the reading rods books, and the basic phonics and reading program through rod and staff.  I really like the reading rods books.  They come with reading rods which they could practice putting words together.  They really enjoyed it.   I taught spelling to my kids before they could read and it really helped them in the reading process.  The book, "Mommy, teach me to read"  is a great book with lots of ideas for you to try.   The key for kids is to make reading as fun as you can, read to them lots even after they are reading on their own, and also not putting a lot of pressure and stress on them.  They are learning to read even you don't think they are.  For my children it was like the light just came on and they got it and soared through reading.  My son literally couldn't read one day and the next day he could.  Good luck 

evelynsaenz
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM

You might try the Explode the Code Phonics books to help her with decoding words. Then just read aloud with her any books that interest her from the library. Remember that many children are not yet ready to read at 7 years old. Nearly all children will learn to read by the time they are 10, especially if they have the opportunity to read books that they are interested in.

There are many fun activities that children enjoy doing that help them to focus on words and promote fluency. You might try creating a treasture hunt where you leave notes around the house that she must read in order to find a treasrue. The treasure might be a book that she has been looking forward to reading.

Try drawing pictures and then together use post-its to label parts of the picture. Take off all the post-its and see if she can figure out where they belong.

Evelyn

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)