Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

GMA's Radical Unschooling Story today, April 19th

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM
  • 13 Replies
  • 1172 Total Views

Did anyone watch or find the story online about GMA's completely biased story about unschooling?  They talked to 2 families, one with younger children and a family with teenagers.  They show the teens watching tv, playing around ,and 1 quick shot about some plants.  They then ask the teens if they feel prepared for college both academically and socially.  The story was a sad understanding of unschooling and failed to inquire about what the kids were studying and whether their parents offered assistance in any way shape or form for their studies.  This sort of "journalism" is what should be taken off the air.  The reporter started off by saying it feels like playing hookie from school instead of learning.  If you are interested there was such an uproar that they are doing a follow up story tomorrow.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happy1mom
by Helping Hands on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Didn't catch it, but I'll tune in tomorrow.  That's just the media in general for ya'!!

MommyCakesinTX
by Testing the waters on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Ignorant but not surprising!  I'll have to watch tomorrow.

kaylasmom22
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:24 AM

I just saw the parents on GMA being interviewed. I am shock that there are parents out there who let kids at 13 years old do what they want. So what if they traveled all over the world do they know what is 1+1. The girl said it she does not know if she opened a book how she will understand it. her words not mine.

newenglandfan
by Testing the waters on Apr. 20, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I didn't see the original story, but did watch the QUICK follow-up today.

I plan on homeschooling my daughter for preschool. She will then go to public school. Part of me feels bad that she will be stuck in a classroom all day, listening to lecture after lecture.  I can certainly see an advantage to some educational freedom, not to watch TV and play video games all day (which is how GMA made it sound for the older kids), but learning through exploring the outdoors, having the freedom to travel to different places, singing and dancing, going on nature walks, or to the library etc. etc.

I do wish GMA spent more time on this story because it's no wonder they received so many e-mails. Unschooling is something that a lot of folks don't completely understand.

mom2queenie2004
by Cheryl on Apr. 20, 2010 at 9:25 AM

good morning america

swizzlefiz
by Welcome Squad on Apr. 20, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I just watched it on GMA's website ... OMG!  There is a huge difference between unschooling and NOT parenting.  I'm sorry but its a parents job to parent their child, not let the child eat donuts for breakfast every morning and not brush their teeth ... just WOW!!

chica1965
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I missed it  

monkeyberry
by Helping Hands on Apr. 20, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Both of the stories were completely biased, but I wasn't surprised. I watched both and it was so abvious they just wanted to "expose" unschooling and how "detrimental" it is to the kids.  Give me a break.

eye rolling

mom2queenie2004
by Cheryl on Apr. 20, 2010 at 2:02 PM

the same thing happened when "Dr" Phil did a show on homeschooling. He's a quack.

ncstress
by Helping Hands on Apr. 20, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I agree it was exploitive and certainly seemed to feel like they wanted to show "homeschooling" parents in a negative light.  The original piece should have been titled Radical Unparenting instead of Radical Unschooling!  Juju seemed to prefer to focus on the lack of the parents involvement when she should have focused on the type of work the kids did and how they decided what "path" they were following for their education.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)