Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen and toddler in same house

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:37 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 259 Total Views

Anyone else trying to homeschool a teenager with a toddler/preschooler at home? This year has been a real struggle for me.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
HisBrandy
by Helping Hands on May. 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I have done it. My kids are 19,15 and 6. Juggling the kids was the easy part for me...and honestly, it was not really easy. Juggling running the office of my husband's business with homeschooling them was where I burned out.

Homeschooling is like parenting. It's a task but one of love and well worth the hassles.

You have to find methods and schedules that work for you. It's different for each of us.

Hang in there.

4everInBluJeans
by Welcome Squad on May. 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM

My oldest is almost 18 and the youngest is almost 7.  It wasn't ever super easy and the house sometimes looked like a bomb hit it.  Um, actually it is in bomb-mode this very minute as I am also preparing for a yard sale and the selling of this house.  I can say from experience that selling a house while home schooling multiple ages is even harder. This is the second time.

A schedule helps.  I am not the scheduling tyoe by nature, but my smoothest year was last year when I had five different daily plans that the children followed.  Each day was different because there were different activities for each child and odd things we didn't do every day.  It gave them all (five kids) enough variety that they did not get burned out.  It was great to not have to stop and answer the proverbial question of what the child should do next. 

Toddler life always worked best for me when I had a special box of toys that only came out during school hours.  I also allowed educational programs on the TV or tapes on the VCR.

Sharon

Fioni
by Helping Hands on May. 29, 2010 at 12:48 PM

yeah, but personally the 6 year old and the 10 year old are more needy. It is usually those two who fuss when I am doing stuff with the 3 year old. The 14 year old and the 19 year old are pretty self sufficient.

I do stuff with the 3 year old when he is interested, and after a while he gets tired of it and does his own thing. The six year old wants my attention more and it is harder to get her interested enough in something to work on her own.

silver1sx
by Testing the waters on May. 29, 2010 at 3:50 PM

lol Oh yeah I have..........My boys are 15, 13, 4 1/2, & 2 years old...plus I am 26 weeks pregnant!!!  I has been harder this year and we also moved in October from New York to Tennessee!!!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)