Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What subjects and curriculum do you use or have used for 3rd grade/4th grade?

Posted by on May. 28, 2010 at 2:10 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 369 Total Views

Although my son will only be 7 next month he is quite advanced for his age.  He already finished the assigned work from the homeschool program for kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd grade.

This year we get to pick his curriculum and order our own books at the homeschool programs dollar.  I am just interested in knowing more about what subjects your 3rd/4th graders do or did and what you liked or did not like.

by on May. 28, 2010 at 2:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momof3inTN
by Helping Hands on May. 28, 2010 at 7:40 AM

My 3rd grader is doing U.S. History, U.S. Geography, Language Arts (English, Writing, Spelling), Reading, Math and Science. My oldest just finished 4th and is heading into 5th. In 4th grade he did all of the above (I modified the program a little for my 3rd grader). We don't use a curriculum, just books I find at the curriculum fair, yard sales, used book stores, etc.

AmyG1976
by Helping Hands on May. 28, 2010 at 9:14 AM

my son age 9 3/4th grade: scott foresman science add in science kits for monthly projects, math spectrum and saxon,reading age level books and I get little work books to match from a teacher/homeschool store nearby, abeka developing good heath, spelling from superteacherworksheets.com and spellingcity.com, writing (has a spectrum writing book right now idk what we will go to after done) geography (has spectrum will get something else when he finishes it same level) cursive practice, typing practice @bbc.co.uk/schools/typing, art projects once a month, guitar lessons, american, art and music history books from the lib.  

nikki0522
by Helping Hands on May. 28, 2010 at 9:22 AM

My 3rd grader (age 7, will be 8 next month) used LifePac for math, language arts, social studies and science, A Beka Health, Handwriting Without Tears Cursive, Spectrum Reading Comprehension, spelling lists from www.abcteach.com and various lapbooks and unit studies. We HATED LifePacs! So boring and not at all challenging!

For 4th grade we will be using Saxon Math 5/4, Rod & Staff English 4, Story of The World Volume 1 for History, The Complete Book of Science along with the Handbook of Nature Study, A Beka Health and spelling.

angelsdaycare
by Welcome Squad on May. 28, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Where do you find these name curriculums?  We have used Saxton math and that was boring.  He needs something more hands on for math to get the concepts.  I am not looking for anything religious though, that is kept for Sunday School.

nikki0522
by Helping Hands on May. 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Quoting angelsdaycare:

Where do you find these name curriculums?  We have used Saxton math and that was boring.  He needs something more hands on for math to get the concepts.  I am not looking for anything religious though, that is kept for Sunday School.

You should look into Math U-See for him!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)