Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christian World View Program for Junior High

Posted by on May. 29, 2010 at 10:36 AM
  • 0 Replies
  • 312 Total Views

I have to say that am with very pleased with

LightBearers, by Summit Ministries

We used this program last year with our 13 yo and 15 yo boys.

We chose this program because our 15 yo learned best with visual/auditory programs.  We thought we would just teach both boys at once.  We couldn't have made a better guess if we tried!  It truly is essential, if you ask me, for young Christians to have a firm grounding in what they believe and why they believe it. According to Josh McDowell, 28% percent of Christian teens believe that there is no such thing as absolute truth and another 28% were not sure. According to a major study of college students across America, the percentage of college students who no longer claim to be "born again" by their senior year is as high as 59%.  Teens need to know how to be lightbearers as much as they need to know Who that light is.  If you are raising Christian children, your kids need a world view program to help the solidify what they believe and be able to identify the oppositional views and their origins.  This program does that in a way that engages young teens. I have seen other more academic literature-based Christian world view programs like Starting Points. My oldest used Starting Points and it was great for his highly academic nature, but I could have still waited until 9th grade for the depth that program provides.  I needed something more down-to-earth for the other boys and I found it.  Don't get me wrong.  Lightbearers teaches so much in its 36-week program.   They will have readings, videos, journaling, presentations, paragraph assignments and lots of discussion time with you.  It would make a great co-op class.  It was nice doing it with two children.  They each added something different to the class.  We took five hours a week and they boys loved it from start to finish. I can't even begin to explain how much ins taught in this program: the reality of God, the nature of truth, our inner attitudes, the origin of life, the dual nature of humans, what constitutes a healthy society, the basis for law, the purpose of government, the proper use of our resources, the meaning of history and how it all fits together in a Christan's life.  These are questions our teens are asking and this program truly engages and grounds them.

It wasn't cheap, but it was worth every penny.  You need the Teacher's manual since it has answers to tests and quizzes and so many ideas for engaging the kids. It includes so much more than what the student workbook has. You also need a student workbook for each child and at least one copy of the book, How To Be Your Own Selfish Pig, by Susan Shaffer (Francis Shaffer's daughter).  You also will get a pack of CD and CDROM disks.  Theses are a wonderful part of the course and include a disk with all the tests and quizzes.

So glad we got this!

Sharon

by on May. 29, 2010 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)