Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SOTW Help! ASAP!

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 688 Total Views

I checked out Story of the World, book 1, last Friday but due to the holiday we haven't touched it yet. It's due next Friday & for some reason my library will not allow me to keep it a bit longer. :( It has 42 chapters & I have 2 hs (1st & 8th grade). What is the best way to teach them using this book? Did you look up additional things about each subject to supplement each chapter or did you just read the chapter, answer any questions the kids had & moved on? Please help! Thanks!!

Stacy Schofill

Barefoot Books Ambassador

Give your child the gift of reading!

Join my team for FREE, just ask me how!

http://Stacy-Schofill.barefootbooks.com/

by on Jul. 7, 2010 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momof3inTN
by Helping Hands on Jul. 7, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I really recommend buying the books, then you can go through at a more leasurely pace.

What we do is:

1) read the chapter

2) talk about what we read

3) if the kids are interested in learning more about something we read, we do further research

4) the kids notebook about what we read and learned (they usually write a couple of lines about the chapter, draw pictures, etc)

5) assemble the timeline (we search for corresponding pictures on the internet or I copy pictures from books), then we paste them on the timeline (which is also in their notebook).

jen2150
by Helping Hands on Jul. 7, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I agree buying the book is the best.  I got mine off of Amazon for not that much.  I plan on using actual  books on to what we are studying.  We do unit studies for History so this fits right in.  I believe that is how they are designed to be used..   

Fioni
by Helping Hands on Jul. 7, 2010 at 10:19 PM

We bought the book. We read the chapter on the first day, talk about it, then I bring out about a half a dozen related books that I found at the library (I have to go by myself once a week to pick out books for this and for science) and read a couple that day. We make a craft thing or a notebook page.

On the second day we talk about it again, read (or read aloud or look at pictures) in a couple more of the books. We do another crafty thing and another notebook page. We might look at some related websites that I prescreen. We watch a related movie or video from Netflix. 

On the third day, we talk about it again, update our timeline, look at our maps, do our history pockets, look at the rest of the books and do another notebook page, and do a big more involved craft. We watch another related video documentary or movie. Sometimes we pretend we are living in those times for the whole day. That is it for the week.

Some chapters we stay with longer than a week because there is so much out there on that time and the kids are into it.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Helping Hands on Jul. 8, 2010 at 12:35 AM

I would really recommend buying both the book and the activity guide.  You can usually find them relatively inexpensively at www.homeschoolclassifieds.com.  The supplemental books, a list of which you can find in the activity guide, can be checked out from the library.

stacys29
by CountryMamato3 on Jul. 8, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Thanks for your help ladies. I'll have to wait to purchase these until we can afford to but at least I have an idea of how to best teach the boys each chapter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)