Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

idk... it just confuses me a little... a little guidance please... (random)

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:42 AM
  • 13 Replies
  • 467 Total Views
okay so i'm definitely starting HS next month for my 4yo & maybe here & there for my 3yo (soon to be 4)... anyway, i hadnt come across this before, well more like i had never thought of it really... well in some website i was looking for info on pre-k (just surfing) & i came across that preschool is for a 3yo & pre-k for a 4yo & up... okay so this kind of threw me off a little, i know its probably dumb anyway, but whats the difference? i always thought they were the same thing, really? are they still learning the same things? idk, i just dont want to mess up since this will be my 1st time @ HS, i want to know i'm teaching my son all the necessary things so he'll be ok when kindergarten comes along & if i could teach my 3yo more stuff than even better.... i know its dumb, but info, anyone???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hailnbray
by Helping Hands on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:59 AM

preschool is pretty much the start of things, pre k gets a bit more into detail. dont worry about the grade level just teach what ur children need to learn. if they know there abc's move on to letter sounds ect.

Fioni
by Helping Hands on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Some places call any instruction for kids too young for kindergarten 'preschool', other places have different names, and have 'preschool' for 3 year olds and they have a k-4 (kindergarten for four year olds) and a k-5 (kindergarten for five year olds.

In all of these, the kids learn how to follow directions, how to use safety scissors, how to pay attention to a story, how to be polite, how to speak clearly and communicate their thoughts, how to go to the bathroom and wash their hands.

Most kids will be able to recognize their names in print, but few will be able to write it clearly at the beginning of kindergarten. Most kids will be able to recognize some letters of the alphabet but not all of them, and they won't be writing them yet. Most kids can count up to five but do not recognize written numbers or do any addition or subtraction. Most kids know most of their basic colors and a few basic shapes.

You don't need to do any formal school at this age, just play with your kids, read stories, talk to them, and have fun!

celtycmomma
by Welcome Squad on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:12 AM

my oldest son went to 3 year preschool...he learned to write his name, colors, letters basic stuff, since he is almost 4..i would go with teaching him along with your 4 year old..that is what i did...in preschool we did letters, (tracing how to hold a pencil basic things) colors, shapes, read to them alot...sing songs, they will be fine....my 4 year old did kindergarten stuff ...you have time to take with them that is the best education....sorry i'm so random here ...i am with you on making sure they know everything lol...but alot of the stuff they can do together being as though they are so close to the same age

HisBrandy
by Helping Hands on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Many of us don't give a toodle on what terms schools insist on slapping on. Some of us also don't preschool or PreK either.

I called anything before Kindergarten, preparing for schooling and Kindergarten was actually what many call preschool. First grade is where a full structured approach begins for us.

padavali
by Helping Hands on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:37 AM

I didn't know there was a difference :)  I wouldn't worry about the Preschool vs. PreK stuff, the end result is the same, regardless of what you call it.  What are you planning on using with your kiddo's?

curlz333
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM
thank you ladies for your replies, alot of the things mentioned i planned on doing with them. since they both know their ABC's, colors, & shapes. I just planned to work on letter sounds, tracing, sing along, playing & reading to them alot & of course helping them catch up on what ever they need more help with... thanks alot, its really no biggie, i should just stick to my own thing like i was planning to do from the beginning... i'm wondering, since my son is a very quick learner, would it be a good idea to start on some kindergarten material (not fully, just here & there)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjzj82
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:24 PM
i agree do as much as u can together it will keep u from repeating it next year. And its always mroe fun to have someone dto do the fun stuff with.

Quoting celtycmomma:

my oldest son went to 3 year preschool...he learned to write his name, colors, letters basic stuff, since he is almost 4..i would go with teaching him along with your 4 year old..that is what i did...in preschool we did letters, (tracing how to hold a pencil basic things) colors, shapes, read to them alot...sing songs, they will be fine....my 4 year old did kindergarten stuff ...you have time to take with them that is the best education....sorry i'm so random here ...i am with you on making sure they know everything lol...but alot of the stuff they can do together being as though they are so close to the same age

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
padavali
by Helping Hands on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:27 PM

We play with K stuff with my PreK'er.  Some things take a little longer to learn, but isn't that why we want to HS?  Work at their level and pace?  My DD gets bored really easy, so I have found, with the challenge of K math, and reading, it keeps her on her toes and she is handling it fine.  Some math concepts that I think we will fly though, takes us 4-6 lessons to master, and some things I expect to take a week teaching, she gets in a day :)  Just have fun and enjoy this time!

Quoting curlz333:

thank you ladies for your replies, alot of the things mentioned i planned on doing with them. since they both know their ABC's, colors, & shapes. I just planned to work on letter sounds, tracing, sing along, playing & reading to them alot & of course helping them catch up on what ever they need more help with... thanks alot, its really no biggie, i should just stick to my own thing like i was planning to do from the beginning... i'm wondering, since my son is a very quick learner, would it be a good idea to start on some kindergarten material (not fully, just here & there)?

curlz333
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM
yeah, thats what i dont want to do, have to repeat all over again, good thing they both know the same things only difference that he learns from just hearing & she learns by observing =)

Quoting jjzj82:

i agree do as much as u can together it will keep u from repeating it next year. And its always mroe fun to have someone dto do the fun stuff with.

Quoting celtycmomma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
curlz333
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 1:40 PM
yeah i plan to enjoy this time with them, a whole different experience which i'm looking forward to =) i agree some things take longer than others, but every thing @ their pace, i have al the time in the world, that why i wanted to homeschool =) i know what you mean, the things that i thought would take forever they learned them quick & the other way around... yeah i know for a fact that my son will get bored quick so i do plan on getting him into math since thats the only subject that keeps him slowed downed a bit =)

Quoting padavali:

We play with K stuff with my PreK'er.  Some things take a little longer to learn, but isn't that why we want to HS?  Work at their level and pace?  My DD gets bored really easy, so I have found, with the challenge of K math, and reading, it keeps her on her toes and she is handling it fine.  Some math concepts that I think we will fly though, takes us 4-6 lessons to master, and some things I expect to take a week teaching, she gets in a day :)  Just have fun and enjoy this time!

Quoting curlz333:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)