• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some advise please!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:03 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 243 Total Views

Another mom said this to me

but home schooling is very different and usually the kids are alittle behind..

How do I combat that?

Here is her whole comment.

I wont home school unless we cant get out of our house.. I refuse to send my son to District 118, but home schooling is very different and usually the kids are alittle bhind.. Private schools are soo expensive.. I will do whats best for my children. Im lucky b/c my son is pretty ahead of alot of little ones, so ithink as long as we get out of the ghetto we'll be good!!

The little boy she is talking about is 3 and just starting Preschool which he really does not need.  He has been speakin full sentances from age one.  He knows how to count to 20 and 10 in Spanish, his ABC's and so forth the only thing he is not is potty trained.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
sweetashyb
by Welcome Squad on Aug. 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM

So essentially, she doesn't want to send her child to a particular public school, but private school is too expensive. She doesn't want to homeschool unless they can't get out of their current "ghetto" neighborhood, correct? However, she's sending him to preschool, although you don't think he really needs it. Academically he seems okay for the things you've listed, but there is MUCH more to preschool than counting & the ABCs, perhaps he isn't around other kids much and she thinks that he could use the play experience? A lot of parents send their kids to preschool to work on social skills...learning to share, get along with others, work as a group, etc. That said.....

Kids who are homeschooled statistically tend to be ahead of their peers in academics. Yes, homeschooling is different...that's the whole point of it. Most people who choose to homeschool want to do it because its so different from public school.

Private schools are expensive and cost is a big factor as to why most people can't/don't send their children to them. I find no reason for families to go into major debt to send their child to a private school, especially if the school isn't that great...around here, the private schools are behind the public schools in academics....if I were putting my child in a "real" school, why would I pay thousands of dollars per year for them to attend a school when they could learn MORE at the public school & go for free?? However, if she is totally against the public school & doesn't feel she could handle homeschooling,  and the private schools offer an advantage over the public schools, then she should look into private schools that offer scholarships or that are income based. 

A lot of parents jump into homeschooling and aren't honest with themselves about their capabilities. I personally feel that most parents really are capable of teaching their children, but some people just aren't suited to it. Some parents don't have the patience, some don't have the discipline to do what's required, and some just don't enjoy being around their kids enough  to be able to mentally and emotionally handle teaching them every single day. I would rather see a mom be honest with herself & her situation  and say "you know what? I can't teach my kid the way they need to be taught, so I'm sending them to public school" than see a mom throw a big fit to be able to homeschool & then have her temper going nuts everyday & the kids not learning anything because mommy just can't handle it and the kids end up being behind for the rest of their lives.

mamaof2n1angel
by shAunny on Aug. 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I have to agree with  sweetashly  on this ..

Fioni
by Helping Hands on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Sounds like she doesn't really want to consider homeschool as an option for her family. Although, I must point out that 'the ghetto' is a cultural attitude for most teens and preteens these days, not just a place. It has been my experience that kids from the 'better' neighborhoods listen to the same street music and imitate the behaviors and morals of the kids who do live in the ghetto. Socialization is not always positive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)